Natural Birth

Do I need to take classes?

I'm a FTM, but I'm a RN so I understand the physiology of labor and birth. I'm very passionate about natural birth, am going to see a MW for prenatal care and plan to deliver at a NB friendly hospital that offers water birth. I am wondering if taking a class- most likely Bradley Method- is worth it or if I could study on my own at home (ie: Ina May, Bradley books, hypnobirthing) with DH with good results? I guess my main question is- is taking a class worth the time and money? I'd love to hear other people's perspective. TIA.

Re: Do I need to take classes?

• It really depends on you and your DH (and if you plan to involve any other support person).

I didn't do a class last time or this time. I did hire a doula, as I knew that was the most effective way to make my DH awesome and make me feel secure and supported. I did lots of reading and yoga on my own to prepare.

Some people love classes. For me, the idea of giving up that many hours to sit in a room and "bond" with other couples... um, no. I don't want to do that. It goes against my introvert nature. 

• It really just depends on what will make you feel most prepared. With DD, DH and I took a Bradley Class, but it was poorly taught. I ended up getting an epidural. This time around, I youtubed breathing techniques, and made sure I told my OB I wanted to avoid Pitocin and felt MUCH more prepared than last time. Ended up getting my natural birth. 

I'd say the biggest part of the class is preparing you for what will happen in labor. My class did a horrible job of that. Since you're an RN you probably know the ins and outs of it (ie, transition contractions mean you're almost there, don't give up!) and probably don't need a class. You'd be amazed at all the free info you can find through google ;)

Two under two, here we come!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage image
  • Loading the player...
  • I took a class and enjoyed it for the social aspect of meeting other natural birth moms and just the opportunity to discuss stuff, but I don't feel I learned a ton. Maybe that's because I'm such a researcher and had already read a few natural birth books, etc. I studied hypnobabies at home and have loved that. I recommend it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We took the Bradley class and loved it.  I could have read up in my own and got all the information.  However, my H is not the type to read/study childbirth in his free time.  It was easier to take a class were he had to focus on our birth every week. Plus it was nice to have an instructor who is experienced in childbirth tell him things so he really "got" certain points.  Overall, I thought it was worth the time and the money.
  • Thanks ladies, for those of you that studied on your own any particular books/ websites you recommend?
  • imageMEjack1:
    Thanks ladies, for those of you that studied on your own any particular books/ websites you recommend?

"The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin is my favorite. I like the Lamaze handbook. I like the prenatal yoga podcasts on yogadownload.com if you've got any prior yoga experience. 

• Doing the hypnobabies home study. A MAZ ING

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I took the class mostly for DH. I think it as helpful for me but I think I could have gotten through it by studying on my own.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
  • I had two natural births, and never took any classes. I felt that reading in preparation for labor helped me a lot. Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth and Spiritual Midwifery were empowering and encouraging to read. I also liked The Birth Book by Dr. Sears. For me personally, practicing positive affirmations helped me cope with contractions once I was in labor.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageMEjack1:
    Thanks ladies, for those of you that studied on your own any particular books/ websites you recommend?

Honestly, I read the old Bradley Method book with my husband. We read it together to 1. Make sure we had the same understanding, and 2. Reinforce what we liked and didn't like for us. The photos were real and VERY outdated, but it did the trick. I would recommend layering other methods in though too. I am in the process of adding to our base knowledge of NB, and we are on our 5th child.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageaylafsu88:
    We took the Bradley class and loved it.  I could have read up in my own and got all the information.  However, my H is not the type to read/study childbirth in his free time.  It was easier to take a class were he had to focus on our birth every week. Plus it was nice to have an instructor who is experienced in childbirth tell him things so he really "got" certain points.  Overall, I thought it was worth the time and the money.

This for me too. The class was much better at engaging DH than self-study would have been. 

imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

• I think it's all about what's going to make you feel most comfortable when you're actually in labor. I didn't bother with classes, but I read everything I could get my hands on, and practiced lots of techniques for pain management on my own. In the end, it was less about the specific methods used and more about feeling confident enough to stay calm and focused during labor and delivery. There are many tools available to you: use whichever ones you prefer!
    "Can I call your baby 'Ze Munchkin,' or 'ZM' for short?" - my best friend
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"