Babies on the Brain
Options

Is birth control worth it?

Not sure if theres a catergory for this, couldnt find it.

Anyhow, I just had my son June 15th... also have another boy who is 9. I find myself wanting tons more babies even though I said I was done. However, time-wise, it would be best for hubby and I to wait a while.

Im thinking of getting on birth control since my cramps are horrible during periods and I dont want to get pregnant soon.  It seems all birth control has such horrible side effects though - ones I dont want to face especially after 9 months of psycho hormones.  Any advice? 

Re: Is birth control worth it?

• Options
    When I was on the pill, I never felt like myself. I had mood swings all of the time. Tried switching brands but nothing helped. Had DD and didn't want to feel "crazy" again so we chose to do the good ol pull out method. When DD was 6 months old I got KU with DS. After him I chose to do the implanon implant. I have frequent UTIs and didn't want anything down there. Implanon goes in your upper arm. The only side effect I had was for about 5 months after implant, the area around it itched but I never had mood swings. I was on it or 2 years, going months without a period and then bleeding for a month. I just got it removed last week because we are currently TTC.
  • Options

It's worth it if you can't have/ don't want another kid right away.

I mean, have you had bad experiences with hormonal BC before?  If yes, stay away from that. 

Invest in condoms or learn about NFP.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    5555 member

Hormonal BC gave me horrible acne, wild mood swings, and the worst headaches of my life. The effects were almost instant, probably within three days of beginning. I gave it six months and never felt any better during that time, so I quit. I tried a different brand again later on, and it was the same thing. 

So, for the past three and a half years, we've used natural family planning coupled with condoms. We always assumed we'd have an oopsie baby someday so we wouldn't need to try, but here we are, getting ready to start trying next month! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Married since July 2009.
    TTC #1 since May 2014
    BFP #1 August 13, 2014
    EDD: April 22, 2015
    It's a boy!
  • Options
    copper IUD. No hormones and no thinking for 5ish years. 
  • Options
    imageHelenahhandbasket:

It's worth it if you can't have/ don't want another kid right away.

I mean, have you had bad experiences with hormonal BC before?  If yes, stay away from that. 

Invest in condoms or learn about NFP.

This. I was using non-hormonal contraception while I was still pumping, but totally didn't trust it.  I've always had a good reaction with hormonal bc.  My body just doesn't seem to do well without it.  If you don't want another child soon, I strongly urge you to explore your options.  Birth control is absolutely worth it. 

http://www.pinterest.com/kate2904/
  • Options
    imagemx4l:
    Not sure if theres a catergory for this, couldnt find it.nbsp;Anyhow, I just had my son June 15th... also have another boy who is 9. I find myself wanting tons more babies even though I said I was done. However, timewise, it would be best for hubby and I to wait a while.nbsp;Im thinking of getting on birth control since my cramps are horrible during periods and I dont want to get pregnant soon. nbsp;It seems all birth control has such horrible side effects though ones I dont want to face especially after 9 months of psycho hormones. nbsp;Any advice?nbsp;

Copper iud?
  • Options
    There are side effects to most any forms of BC.  IUDs can become dislodged or perforate your uterus.  BC can cause acne, mood swings, weight gain, etc.  Charting/PNP can be unreliable if you're not doing it correctly or use just that method.  Condoms can break, fall off or you just do it for a "little bit" without putting one on and end up pregnant.  

If you're not wanting to get pregnant/can't afford to get pregnant, I'd say your best chance of avoiding pregnancy is not to have sex.  Beyond that, you'll have to weigh your options/risks on all of the other methods.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options

Purchase and read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.  This is an amazing book for those who are TTC or prefer a natural approach to BC.  I had awful reactions to BCP and had to stop taking it in February of 2011.  I will never again go back to the pills.  I can't speak for any other methods but FAM is definitely something my boyfriend and I are going to use from now on.  

Bottom line, it's really (obviously) all about finding what works best for you and your life. 

Trying to Conceive Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"