Health & Exercise

I need help from Runners

I am 8 weeks post having twins and am starting to run again, just a mile or 2  a day and will work my way up. I have always had issues with getting blisters, but they are worse now than ever. Any hints? I do not know if I need new shoes or socks etc any fix suggestions would be great. I have not really worked out since Feb when I was on bed rest through May. Thanks.
Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013

Re: I need help from Runners

• That's a tough one. Usually blisters are a result of the repeated rubbing of a moving sock or shoe on your skin. Are they on your heels or somewhere else? I've found that investing in good socks that truly stay put is key. You're probably stepping differently than you ever have before, so perhaps your changed gait is causing new "wear patterns" and rubbing your feet differently than before. Some people use moleskin to decrease rubbing, but I haven't used it personally. It really depends on where your blisters are when it comes to figuring out what to change!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a  runners store here in Manhattan called jack rabbit, I even had them custom my foot to shoes that would fit to avoid this ( I have a very narrow heal) I get blisters there and under my foot. I have blisters so bad right now I can only wear flip-flops because they are all blistered up and swollen, Right is worse than left.
    Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • Loading the player...
  • Coat the blister prone area in Vaseline before putting your socks on.  Also make sure your socks fit closely.  Some runners have better luck with wool socks instead of cotton.  Make sure your shoes fit too of course.  But mainly just the Vaseline.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • care99care99 member
    I'd go get fitted for new shoes.  My feet changed during pregnancy and it took a while before I could wear my old style again (maybe 6-9 months).  
  • It may be time for new shoes (how many miles/months are on your current pair), but I also agree with PP that you should look into new socks.  Are you wearing normal cotton socks to run in?  If so, it is really time to upgrade.  I know it sounds expensive, but my feet have never felt better than when I broke down and spent $12-15/pair for running socks.  I will never run in "normal" socks again. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Get Body Glide! I used to get blisters on my feet after four miles and with body glide applied in the right spots my feet were blister free even after a full marathon! It's pretty much a safe body lube. Congrats on the little ones! Bravo for getting back into the habit too!
                January Siggy Challenge

Praying for our May15 baby!          January 2014- Welcome Sweet Kimber!
    image     image
  • I'm a little late to this, but if you happen to still be looking for advice... New shoes and wicking socks for moisture. Also make sure you are tying your shoelaces right. Runners world has advice for shoes and the laces. It is true you will probably get banged up when getting back into running, but just be on the safe side and invest in those items I mentioned.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"