Health & Exercise

i'm so lost.

i need to lose weight. its past the point of me just wants to look ok again. my knees always hurt like they never have before i have little energy and my hips and back hurt constantly. i weight 30 pounds more than i did before i got pregnant i went from a 14 to a 16 and it is more than i have ever weighed in my life. i have little money and im the only one working. i cant afford a gym and i dont feel real safe running alone at night. i always am moving and trying to eat right but i cant lose it. i haven't gained but i also haven't lost. any advice id appreciate.

Re: i'm so lost.

• Keeping close track of what you're eating, like genuinely writing things down, can be a good way to start moving in the right direction. I would not recommend doing it long term and making it an obsession, but if you do it for a couple weeks, you may be surprised how many calories you consume or the types of foods you just nibble that add up to more than you'd think. Weight loss has far more to do with what you eat than what you do physically, but staying mobile and taking walks with the LOs or just a couple extra trips out to the mailbox will add up if you're really struggling to making time for exercise. Whatever you do, do it sincerely with 100% commitment. One weekend or one day of overeating can sabotage your efforts in the week. Give yourself time and work on loving who you are and improving how you feel about yourself. Best of luck to you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Do you have any of the cheap gyms? We have a few around here that area ten dollars a month. If you can join a cheap one and try to go 3 times a week that's a great start. Also, keep a food journal! That's one of the most effective ways that I have lost weight. 
  • Loading the player...
  • blue33blue33 member

I agree with tracking your calorie intake and activity level. Sites like myfitnesspal or sparkpeople may be helpful, because you can also meet people who will encourage you to stay focused and also give you an accurate measure of calories you are consuming each day. I know it is hard, but you can do it. Good Luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageljanette85:
    Do you have any of the cheap gyms? We have a few around here that area ten dollars a month. If you can join a cheap one and try to go 3 times a week that's a great start. Also, keep a food journal! That's one of the most effective ways that I have lost weight. 

I belong to one of those gyms and we pay $10/month and $9/month for unlimited kids club 

• i live in a small town so only one pretty expensive gym. im the only one in my family working so all money is used each paycheck but i have myplate and fitnesspal on my phone ive been using and have been writing what i eat and it gave me a calories to stay under. but im going to try the youtube work out videos thank for the link. DD and i have started takeing 30 min to 1 hour walk lately so i hope it helps a little =]
  • It might help to look at exercise differently.  Exercise is good for your heart, it helps regulate blood sugar, it builds muscle, it helps with stress and makes you feel good, and it might encourage you to make better food choices.

But it might not help you lose weight. Exercise makes you hungry because your body wants to regain the calories lost. You might even over eat the calories you expended if your not careful.   I'm not saying don't work out, it is essential for being healthy, but it is diet that is really going to make a difference. Think of it as diet to lose the fat and exercise to give you the muscles to look good once the fat is gone. I guess long story short is, don't use lack of exercise opportunities as an excuse to not lose weight.  

Find a program that is something you can stick with long term.  Anything you do to lose weight will have to be maintained. I know a lot of people do weight watchers (you can figure out point counting for free on line) or counting calories. You can also look at program that don't count calories, but focus on the types of foods you eat like South beach and paleo/primal diets.  You can always post your daily food log on here and people can give you tips about what could not be working. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would try logging what you eat on a daily basis with something like MyFitnessPal.com.  Bot my husband and I use this to help us lose weight.  We found that logging everything we ate and seeing how calories add up so quickly, really help us keep our eating in check.  

I don't think a gym is necessary to join at all.  I haven't been a gym member for years now.  Is there any other time that you can go outside for a walk/run? If you are the only one who works then your husband must be around to watch the LO while you go for a walk/run 5 days a week? 

Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"