Pregnant after 35
Options

Am I tempting fate??

Last night a friend who is 17 wks asked me to come with her to Gap Maternity and find a few things in the Clearance section. ?I am 6w4d, and we JUST saw the heartbeat Thursday. ?

?

Since 2+ yrs ago when I had an ectopic, I have not allowed myself to even look in the direction of the 3 or 4 maternity items that I bought back then, and had stashed away in my closet. But I really wanted to go, and once I got there, I seriously found like 6 things that will work really well once I reach the "bigger months" - all for like $54 total. ?So I allowed myself to try them on with the fake "bump" in the fitting room, laugh, enjoy the way I looked, etc.-- It felt so great to enjoy this for once, and let go all the constant worry I always feel.

?

So this morning, I'm bragging about my savvy shopping to my sister on the phone, and she's like "Now don't go buying a lot of stuff, Katie b/c you're not 12 wks yet, and God Forbid, I mean...". ?I was really kinda pissed. ?I told her that she REALLY did not need to remind me, with all I've been through, that something bad can still happen - and that it is on my mind every second of the day. ?But, given how expensive the stuff is, since I can buy some things off-season and stow them away with my other "untouchables", I really just wanted to let go and enjoy this experience for one single night.

Do you all think it was a bad idea for me to shop already?? ?Has anyone else out there been able to relax and enjoy the early stages of pregnancy without the constant fear of m/c or some other misfortune? ? God - I cannot wait to get past the 12 wk mark. ?This stage is nothing but walking on eggshells for me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Am I tempting fate??

• Options

As much as I would love to start immediately, I am afraid as to what can happen in the next few weeks. I am 5 weeks. I feel like I might jinx myself. I would not even open the book "What to expect when you're expecting" until I found out I was pregnant. And I won't read past one month ahead of where I am in the book.

If I went into a baby/maternity store-I too would be so tempted to buy-yes especially when you see the great deals. and that is why I won't even go inside.

• Options
    I think it's great that you're allowing yourself to think positive thoughts.  You know what can happen, but it's wonderful that you're focusing on the good--don't let your sister bring you down! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did the same thing but finally had to make myslef realize that your past does not dictate your future. Buying something maternity or for the baby is not going to cause you to lose it!! I know its easier said than done!!
  • Options

"your past does not dictate your future"

I couldn't have said that better.   You grabbing something on sale and having fun is *not* going to affect you physically.   

Enjoy yourself and - i know it's hard, but yes - try to relax and enjoy!

Christine :)

• Options
    What you did is fine.  Enjoy your pregnancy!!!  There are times when I am out at Target and see a maternity item on clearance and I'm really tempted to buy it even though I am not pregnant.  But I know (hopefully) one day soon I will be!  Got to get the deals when you can because maternity items are not cheap!
  • Options

I agree with previous posters - past does not equal the future.  I had a miscarriage before this baby and honestly tried to be more calm with this one.  Relax and enjoy!  and, don't listen to your sister!!

• Options

it's a fact... buying maternity clothes does NOT make you miscarry!!! :)

I understand when people are afraid to buy stuff early (or even before they are pg) but seriously - it won't change the outcome of anything!

I not only bought some maternity right away with this pg (my 2nd- and yeah, i already have a ton of it and didn't need more!)... I'm wearing it already- b/c nothing fits (thanks to twins- i'm extra bloated!).  I'm only about 8w.

don't worry - just enjoy your pregnancy. 

• Options
    Some of you have been on the SAL board!  Yes, "Your past does not dictate your future," is a biggy to remember.  Allow yourself the joys that pregnancy brings because it'll be over sooner than you can blink.
  • Options
    I did not shop right away, but if you feel good, why not?  You will cherish those first few things you bought once the baby arrives.  I am not a believer in jinxing things or karma, so I think it is perfectly ok to shop early.  I did not because of m/s and the nasty winter months.  Go shop.  You will only talk about "I remember when we bought this" after the baby arrives.  Have fun with it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Truthfully, the embryo doesn't know if you've shopped or not.  Your shopping isn't going to affect the outcome.  So if you found good deals, fine.  I always figured whatever the outcome, I knew I was going to try again so I'd use them at some point. 

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    I'd wait. I bought a boatload of maternity clothes early on during my last pregnancy. Never got a chance to wear them after my pregnancy was ended at 17 weeks. Don't jinx yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"