Preemies
Options

Labor and Delivery ?

I am new to the preemie board. My husband and I were admitted yesterday at 33 weeks and 5 days. Water is slowly leaking and mucous plug is coming out. We are using antibiotics and steroid shots to prevent infection and help with lung progression.

My question is... What is labor and delivery like for a preemie? We are kind of just sitting ducks at this point so any helpful advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Re: Labor and Delivery ?

• Options
    It really is going to vary based on the stability of the baby at birth.  For me, DS was a late term preemie so we still had hope all the way through labor and birth he wouldn't need the NICU at all.   My labor varied in that I was just far enough that they wouldn't stop labor, but we also didn't want things to progress, so I got the epi at 3-4cm dilated in hopes it would slow contractions....it helped a little...overall my labor was about 40hrs.    I had a regular vaginal birth and he was breathing on his own so DH was able to cut the cord.  The pediatric team from the NICU was waiting off to the side and they took him to an isolette about 20 ft from me to evaluate him.  His apgars were good so I was able to hold him and even try to nurse briefly before it was determined that he couldn't maintain his blood sugar level, so he did go down to the NICU.   Unluckily for me, it was about then I had bleeding complications (completely unrelated to him being early, I had a retained placenta) and I went into surgery so I can't give a reasonable timeline for what happens/happened after that point (DH was able to see DS shortly after though...it was hours for me).

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options
    Pips09Pips09 member

This is really going to depend on you and your baby, and what the issues are surrounding the birth. I had an emergency c-section, because we had serious complications, but there are some mamas that deliver vaginally just fine.

The one thing you can expect will be NICU doctors and nurses in the delivery room, though. it will be a bit crowded.

Good luck!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Agreed, it will all depend on how the labor goes and how the baby does as soon as he/she comes out.  My LO was born at 35 weeks and the NICU was present at the delivery ready to take her if needed, but she did wonderful and was able to be on my chest and stayed with me the entire time.  My water broke unexpectedly and then we needed Pitocin to accelerate my cervix dilation. After my epidural, things progressed pretty quickly. I went from a 3 to 10 cm in an hour. All in all from water breaking to baby out, it was 14 hours. 

If he/she has to go to the NICU, Dad is welcome to go with LO if you want.  You will be able to go see the baby as soon as you get everything taken care of for your body.  

• Options
    It depends. I have 34weekers. The time from my water breaking to having babies via emergency c/s under general was 1 hour and 15 minutes. Baby A's cord had prolapsed so it was crazy hectic with a bajillion people once that was discovered. DH missed their birth. I couldn't see them for 14 or so hours because I was recovering from being put under. DH went to see them in the NICU about 3 hours after they were born and took pictures for me.

Aside from the actual circumstances of their birth, they did wonderfully in the NICU and stayed only 13 days. I had actually received steroid shots two weeks prior due to mild pre e and I think that helped them immensely.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"