Food Allergy

MSPI friendly formula?

My LO is three months old. I think she has a MSPI. I'm trying to work with her ped to figure it out for sure. In the meantime I am soy and dairy free because I EBF.

I go back to work in 5 weeks and I'm worried I won't be able to keep up with pumping and want to have formula purchased just in case. What kind can I buy? It seems like they all have either dairy or soy.

Re: MSPI friendly formula?

• You'd need a "hypoallergenic" formula. Nutramigen, Alimentum, Neocate, or Elecare. They tend to taste really gross, and some very sensitive babies still have a hard time on them. 

If you need support, we have an MSPI Mom's check in on the Breastfeeding board on Mondays. The link to the latest post is a few posts below on this page. You can read previous posts at www.mspimoms.blogspot.com.  

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • This

You could try Nutramigen or Alimentum first and then if your LO is not tolerating it well switch to an elemental formula like Neocate.  Also it may take some time for your LO to adjust to any change in formula, so switching to (even supplementing) formula and then maybe a switch in formula after starting it may require some patience.  If your LO doesn't take the formula "straight up: like Saltylove's LO you can try mixing it with BM, starting slow like 1 oz of formula to 3 oz of BM, and increasing the amount of formula over time. 

imageSaltylove:

Shotzie listed them all.

Nutramigen and alimentum are hypoallergenic. they are still formulated from cows milk, but it is hydrolized to make the proteins more digestible. Most MSPI babies can tolerate these, but not all. Elecare and Neocate are amino acid formulas which are completely dairy free, they are usually the last line of formula if the hydrolized ones don't work. 

DD didn't tolerate alimentum so we switched to Neocate and she did well on it. Also, if you do end up introducing the formula, a random tip I learned as we struggled to get DD to take the formula: she did NOT take it mixed with BM, she preferred the formula "straight up" and needed to have it quite warm in order to drink it. Temperature might be the biggest thing to play around with when introducing these formulas.

Rachel Mom to 3 boys Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid Decemberboy04 -former reflux baby Augustboy10 - MFPI baby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"