C-sections
Options

two incisions

So I just got my tape off today and realized that my Dr did not use my old incision. This was my third c-section, and with my second c-section my old Dr used the same incision from my first one. I was pretty surprised and disappointed to realize I'll have two scars now. Did anyone else have this happen? Anyone know if there was a valid reason for this other then maybe it was just easier for her to do? I am thinking about asking her why she did it at my 6 week check up, but I don't want to come off as really upset with her. even more so if there could be a good reason for it. My new one is like 1/4 in lower then the first one. 

baby #1 boy 11.1.02 baby #2 boy 2.25.04 baby #3 girl 6.28.13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker my blog

Re: two incisions

• Options

After looking at it again and having my husband look at it when he came home, I think maybe she did use the old one. My skin is still so raw in that area it's hard to tell. I have marks from the staples, then spots were my skin is peeling badly from a reaction to the huge white bandage I had on for the first 24 hours. Plus my Dr made a tiny fold under the tape as she put it on, no idea why? But I think the line I was seeing might have just been that, because now that's its been like four hours since she took it off it looks much better.

baby #1 boy 11.1.02 baby #2 boy 2.25.04 baby #3 girl 6.28.13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker my blog
  • Options
    I've had 2 c-sections so far and this baby will make 3. I have 2 scars and will probably end up with 3. I heard that it is normal practice to make new incisions as to not weaken the already weakened scar tissue.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB "cut out" my old incision so I only have one scar.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options

imageshill0810:
    I've had 2 c-sections so far and this baby will make 3. I have 2 scars and will probably end up with 3. I heard that it is normal practice to make new incisions as to not weaken the already weakened scar tissue.

Funny, because I've always heard they try to go right over the old scar so you only have one.  The external scar and the one on your uterus don't always line up with each other, in fact they can be perpendicular to each other.   

• Options
    EmR22EmR22 member
    I have heard that they try to use the same incision but if it didn't heal well or has too much scaring they will cut a new one. 
  • Options
    I hope my OB uses the same incision, if possible.  My last c-section was only 16 months ago but the scar is minimal and super low so it is hardly seen.  Guess I never really thought about having another incision.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My tape has been off for 24 hours now and I can clearly see its just one incision. It's so weird it really looked like two yesterday, my Mom even saw two as well. It had been nine years since my last c-section and I healed really nicely so the line was pretty faint and I guess I just had a line from the tape being put on a little messy. 

• Options
    Maybe. I actually have 1 1/2. lol Or that is how I see it. I have had 4Csections and this will be my 5th. I was told that cannot always go over the old one due to scar tissue. The time before last they used parts of the origional line but in other areas went above it by just a CM or less. Just enough where you can still see 2 lines. I am fine with that. Yep, more lines mean more lines, but it is the risk of having Csections. Kinda like in extreme cases you could still end up with The Zipper.
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • Options
    I have two but my doctor mentioned she had "cleaned up" my first one when she saw me at my 2 week visit so I guess I had too much scar tissue.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've had 4 c-sections and only one scar.
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    Glad it was just an illusion lol! My OB did say that some OBs will do new incisions, but she always removes the old one. The "weakening" part isn't true- your external scar and your uterine scar are not the same thing. I had a really bad keloid the first time so she said she would intentionally cut it out and use a different suturing method. Worked this time!
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"