high risk: which obgyn? where to deliver? — The Bump
D.C. Area Babies

high risk: which obgyn? where to deliver?

Hello all,

Hoping for some advice.  I'm currently almost 8 weeks along and living overseas.  I'll be back just after the 11 week mark and am looking for an OBGYN and hospital.  I'll initially be living in Silver Spring with my in-laws, but will hopefully move to the Columbia/Laurel area shortly thereafter.

I've got some issues that I was told would make me high risk, so I want to make sure I choose a doctor and hospital that are equipped to help me and make me feel at ease!

Before moving, I had been seeing Dr. Behram at OBGYN Associates in Silver Spring. She said I could see Dr. Jacobs, who is their high-risk guy, but it looks like he only has privileges at Holy Cross.

Any thoughts on Holy Cross versus maybe Howard County?  Any recommendations of people or groups who deliver at Howard who are good with high-risk?

Thanks in advance!

KAK  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: high risk: which obgyn? where to deliver?

• I would just make sure you deliver at a hospital that has a good NICU, just in case. I was in the same boat (high risk). I actually see Dr Behram (the male Behram, her husband) and was hooked up with Dr Kramer from MD Perinatal (who also has offices in Silver Spring and Colombia) as my high-risk. The high-risk doc doesn't come to the hospital for the birth, but will follow you throughout the pregnancy.

I ended up having my daughter at Shady Grove in Rockville. She ended up in NICU for 3 days. The staff there was amazing. I have heard great things about the NICU at Holy Cross too and did my clinicals there in nursing school. They aren't as "baby-friendly" as Shady Grove, meaning they don't stress breast feeding and skin to skin contact as much. 

I don't know much about Howard, unfortunately.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards