C-sections

At risk for PTL - Csection

I am at risk for PTL and have confirmed with my doctor that I will have a c-section even if I go into PTL (due to complications she doesn't think I will recover from). If I deliver prematurely I'm sure there are certain things I need to be aware of with the baby (i.e. going to NICU right away, maybe no skin to skin, breastfeeding issues, etc). 

Does anyone have experience with this? Is there any advice you can give me? I hate being in the dark and want to know as much as possible. I have a call into l&d at the hospital but not sure if they will give me tons of info or just the basics...

Thank you! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: At risk for PTL - Csection

• I went into PTL with #2 (@ 35w) and had a c-section. It wasn't rushed or anything, not a lot different than my first one but the baby went right to the NICU- I didn't even get to see him first :( They wheeled my bed through the NICU so I could see him before I went to my recovery room. He had underdeveloped lungs ad was put on a ventilator but I was eventually able to hold him at 3 days old and started breast feeding at 7 days old. 

Unfortunately you can't really know what is going to happen, but I would probably plan for some NICU time since I believe it's pretty standard practice to take any kind of preemie there for observation. Depending on how things go, you may or may not be able to do skin to skin and nursing. Good luck to you and your little one! Hopefully he/she can stay an inside baby as long as possible! 

**Baby #3 is on the way!**
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't have PTL but pre-e so I had an "emergency" C-section at 34 w 3 d  when I delivered my twin boys.  There was a HUGE amount of people in the room- a team from the NICU for each baby.  But yes they took them straight to the NICU, I didn't see them until they were in the incubators leaving the OR and that was a brief look- my DH followed them.  While I was in recovery, my DH came back and told me all about them.  Since I had pre-e and  it was 9pm- I was taken back to my room to finish my mag IV (24 hrs).  In the am I had a reaction to the mag so they pulled it.  I didn't get to see my boys until they were 24 hrs old.  They wheeled me down to the NICU.

As for the support my boys needed- the only issues they had were learning to eat.   They had no issues with breathing- or apnea.  So we spent 17 days waiting for them to learn to suck/swallow/breathe. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"