Food Allergy
Options

Lactose Intolerant?

DD was having bad has so at her one month check up I asked the doctor about it. She was spitting up a ton after each feeding, super hard to get her to burp, tummy bloated and hard, having troubles pooping but not constipated, it was watery with every poop and she was super fussy all the time. He switched her formula to Alimentum. After the first bottle I could tell a difference, she didn't spit up at all, burped no problem and took the entire 3oz without letting half of it run down her face and she was finally happy again and not fussy.
Now, a week later, the gas and bloating is back. She isn't as fussy except when she is bloated. Her tummy gets so big her belly button pops completely out. Her poop is more solid now too, but the pedi said to give her juice twice a day to help move things along so it's still slightly watery.

I guess my question is, is this a sign of being lactose intolerant? I know the Alimentum is for allergies but should we try soy formula to help with the gas or maybe the gas is from something else? I plan to ask the pedi about all of this.

Re: Lactose Intolerant?

• Options

It's pretty rare for a baby to be born lactose intolerant. It's usually the protein in cow's milk (and soy) that causes the problems. A lot of babies who are milk protein intolerant are also soy protein intolerant. You might try Neocate or Elecare. The proteins are broken down into amino acids, so they're easier for intolerant babies to handle. 

Was her poop green or mucousy? Did the pedi test it for traces of blood? If any of those symptoms occured, I would suspect milk protein intolerance.

If LO did not have those symptoms, then I would lean more towards lactose intolerance - especially if there's a family history of it. There are formulas that are lactose free, like Similac Sensitive, for example.   

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    La0128La0128 member
    Soy will constipated very easily.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"