VBAC

Considering VBAC..Advice

Hi ladies. It's my first time posting here. I'm going to be a second time mom and had a C-section with my first due to her being breach. I never went into labor and had no problems with my C-section or recovery. I'm young, no health issues and my Dr. asks me at every apt what I plan on doing for the birth. He said a lot of his patients wait to see if they go into labor before 39 weeks and try for a VBAC, otherwise, after that time period, I would need to have a C-section. He said I would be closely monitored, etc if I was to try for a Vbac. He has never went into detail though about how long he will let me labor before making me have a C-section. Possibly having my uterus rupture does scare me, especially having a child at home. I try not to read much on the Internet, but did read one comment about if a complication was to arise, they only have 3 minutes to get the baby delivered C-section. Is any of this true? If something did go wrong, would they have enough time to get the baby out?

Re: Considering VBAC..Advice

• I wouldn't worry too much although I know its hard. I had a successful VBAC 3 weeks ago and so glad I did, its much better than having a c-section! I had my baby at 39 weeks. If something were to go wrong.you and your baby will.be well taken care of, Dr.s and nurses do this everyday and are trained professionals it willight and no I don't think the 3 mins. Is true. 

• imagedfrederick:
    I wouldn't worry too much although I know its hard. I had a successful VBAC 3 weeks ago and so glad I did, its much better than having a csection! I had my baby at 39 weeks. If something were to go wrong.you and your baby will.be well taken care of, Dr.s and nurses do this everyday and are trained professionals it willight and no I don't think the 3 mins. Is true.nbsp;

Were they going to let you try for a vbac pass 39 weeks?
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you feel that your OB is truly supportive of VBACs? My doc will let me go as far as a non-vbac mom before recommending intervention at 41+ weeks. I'm facing my 2nd vbac, but when I had my first vbac (my 2nd child) my water broke at 38 weeks with no contractions, so the doc even had to give me some pitocin - which some doctors will not do, so make sure you also know your doctors position on induction - there's a wide range of practices.  

If you labor in a hospital they will monitor you enough to know if you're showing signs of rupture.  My OB also can order a late (37 week) ultrasound to measure the thickness of your c-section scar - and if it's 3cm (I think) then the risk of rupture goes way down, but if you're less than that - then you can opt for a RCS.  So you have some good, specific-to-you information before you're in labor.  

C-Sections have a lot of risks too, which some doctors gloss over and VBAC risks can be managed well - and a vaginal birth is a lot better for baby than a c/s, not to mention for you too.   

So clearly you have good options.  There is a lot of support out there in books, with midwives, doulas, etc.    

Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"