C-sections

Taking care of newborn

Hello. I am a FTM scheduled for. Csection tomorrow morning, which was just decided by my doctor on Friday due to baby's measurements. So, I haven't had much time to research and prepare for a csection.

I am fine with not having baby vaginally, I didn't have my heart set on a natural birth. What is really important to me though is being able to have skinskin time with baby right away and start breast feeding, as well as having baby exclusively room with me and never leave my side/room once she is born. I'm not sure either is these is possible now.

My question is... After your csection, are you able to take care of your newborn right away like feeding and changing them? Or did nurses have to do those things in the nursery for a few days? How long until you can do those things on your own? Do most csection babies have to be given a bottle, or can they wait to breast feed until mom is ready for them? I expect to have an uncomplicated birth, no health issues for baby or me and she is 39 weeks.

Thank you.

Re: Taking care of newborn

• I had a c-section a week ago and during the surgery had a panic attack so they actually had to knock me out. (I have a history of anxiety)  When I woke up, I was in my room and my husband was holding our son.  I was very out of it due to the drugs so I could not care for our son right away but my husband put him on my chest and I was able to have that bonding time with him.  My nurses didn't want me to get out of bed for 24hrs after the surgery but with my other son coming in the next morning, I demanded to be able to get up the next morning.  It was hard at first.  It takes a little while to be able to walk on your own and get in and out of bed.  I was able to feed our son, but my husband did all the diapering. They have to cut through like 7 layers of abdominal muscle to do a c-section, so it will be painful at first. It does get better, and the more you do move, the easier it gets....BUT it's important not to push yourself too hard and end up hurting yourself.  Ask for a supportive belly band...my hospital gave me one...and it really helps support your belly afterwards and makes it a lot easier to get around.  A c-section is a surgery and you need to let yourself heal!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a c section a month ago this Friday. Here is my experience: once they took the baby out, it had to be brought over to the pediatrician right away. I'm told this is standard since they may need to suction the babies mouth or nose. This would happen naturally during a vagignal birth so I'm told. My husband was with the baby then and even took a lot of pictures. I couldn't see them and was desperate to but I also wanted the baby healthy so I just reminded myself of that. The anesthesia doc actually gave me a play by play of what was happening. Next, they brought the baby over to me while they were sewing me up. I didn't breast feed at this point. He didn't seem to even want it yet. We were then moved to recovery. The baby breast fed there and my husband was there too. I had a very high heart rate so was there for awhile. My husband and the baby went up to our room about ten minutes ahead of me. The first night the nurse has to help you since you have a catheter in. You can't get up. So they change the diapers and hand the baby to you to be breast fed. The next morning, they take the catheter out and you shower. It's hard to move but you feel better after that shower. At this point, you can do stuff on your own may need assistance. I felt fortunate... Had the c section on a Wednesday, left the hospital on Saturday and stopped taking pain meds except for Tylenol on Sunday. 

Good luck to you! The little bundle of joy will make it worth it.  

• Loading the player...
  • I was able to breastfeed in the recovery room and then as soon as in my room LO was brought to me. He stayed with me and DH the whole time unless the nursery need to do things with him(testing and ect.). You will be down for 24 hours or less. Your Dh or family member will/need to do things for you. Once you get up, you will hurt and take you time getting out of bed. Don't be afraid to take the pain meds(you'll need them). You can't drive for 2 weeks or lift anything heavy. Take care of you self and take it slow. 

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• I've had 2 CS.  One 12 years ago, and one 2 months ago.  Both times I was asked 12 hours post surgery if I wanted to get up and use the bathroom.  This is necessary to get the catheter out.  My advice is to suck it up and get out of bed right then.  It may hurt initially, but you'll feel so much more yourself when you don't have that catheter. I was able to BF both kids with no problems.  I couldn't do it on the surgery table, but I could as soon as I got to recovery. We did lots of skin to skin and bonding.  My DH was able to cut the cord, and both times my OBs let me have a quick peak at the baby before they took him/her to get processed on the other side of the room.  Once they were done (5 min) they let DH hold the baby right up near my head for the rest of the surgery.  One of the anesthesia nurses even took a picture of the three of us with our phone, so we could send it to everyone right away. GL! 

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• I was very sick from the spinal I had so no not right away but within a few hours I was holding and nursing. And baby stayed in our room so I did everything for him right away. Good luck!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was able to nurse in recovery with my last c-section (2 weeks ago) and had no problems at all, she latched right on. My milk came in when she was two and a half days old. As far as diapers go my husband changed almost all of them, I think I only changed one while in the hospital and the nurses changed a few as well. He also put Nadia in her bed and got her out, not that she really spent much time in it. But I had too many lightheaded moments while there, so he did not want me carrying her around at all. Plus it was so painful and so much work getting in and out of my bed, I don't think I could have done it with her in my arms. Once we were home (I was discharged at 48 hours) I was able to take care of her completely.

baby #1 boy 11.1.02 baby #2 boy 2.25.04 baby #3 girl 6.28.13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker my blog
  • Honestly, I was too shaky after my section to hold LO. She was born at 8:18pm and I didn't hold her for the first time until about 4am the next morning.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My hospital let me have skin to skin almost right away. They took the baby and cleaned her up (in front of me) first and put a diaper on. Then they put her on my chest for a few minutes and then my DH and her where whisked away while they sewed me up.

When I got to our room I was able to breast feed her and she was in the room with us the whole time. My DH had to change her diapers and bring her to me to feed.

When they want you to get up, do it. The catheter and IV come out sooner if you prove you can move around. Take your pain pills and don't let the nurses miss a dose, it will take a long time to get back on track. 

Your baby might still have mucus in their lungs which will cause them to choke. Call the nurse :) good luck!

• mnj05mnj05 member
    I was allowed to do skin to skin and BF immediately after surgery but was way too exhausted (pushed for over 3 hours) and too shaky. I held him for a few minutes right after but gave him back to DH and didn't try BFing or holding him again for a few hours. DH also changed all of the diapers and handed DS to me, I didn't get up to do that part but I did walk the halls every single time the meds kicked in and I didn't feel any pain.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"