June 2012 Moms
Options

XP: TTMA weaning to cow's milk

I would love to hear from any of you that have had success with cow's milk while you were at work and nursing by CouponDropDown" href="https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/75326906/ShowThread.aspx#" in_rurl="https://i.tracksrv.com/click?v=VVM6MzUwMTY6MTY5MTpvbiBkZW1hbmQ6MjI3MzMwOGM2MDMxY2Y5NzE2NTg5ZDEyZjg1Y2UyNjM6ei0xNDkwLTI1MzEyMjpjb21tdW5pdHkudGhlYnVtcC5jb206MDow">on demand when you were with your LO. My pedi says it is possible, but I feel like it may confuse my kiddo.

I have gotten to the point (from a huge oversupply) that I only make what DS needs and not much extra. I have been trying to pump at home rather than at work and for the most part it is working out.

DS usually drinks between 8 and 12 ounces of BM while I am at work for 8-10 hours (including commute). I nurse him in the morning before I leave, when I get home and again before bed. He usually wakes 1-2 in the night and most times will nurse once.

We have started offering cow's milk in a sippy cup with meals and he will drink a little but seems to prefer water. Because he doesn't drink a lot of the cow's milk, granny and DH are still giving BM as well.

I hope to eventually have him on cow's milk while I am at work and nurse him when I am at home. I don't know how not pumping will affect my supply and if the stimulation of by CouponDropDown" href="https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/75326906/ShowThread.aspx#" in_rurl="https://i.tracksrv.com/click?v=VVM6NDEzMzQ6MTEyNTpudXJzaW5nOjQ3MTM5OTJjZjJkZTI2MGU1MjkxNzZjNjkzYmYxYTc1OnotMTQ5MC0yNTMxMjI6Y29tbXVuaXR5LnRoZWJ1bXAuY29tOjU3NTg4OjhmZjNkZTM1Nzg5MmMzNzUzYmE4YmMyZTNjNGYzODc1">nursing when we are together will be enough to maintain it?

This is TL;DR and my thoughts aren't super organized because I am still trying to figure out how this can work. If you made it this far you deserve some noms...

Bakery Valentine Treats"> Cake Madness"> Cookies | A Voracious Appetite">

and a drink...

First we had eachother.5.27.11
Then we had you.6.16.12
Now we have everything.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: XP: TTMA weaning to cow's milk

• Options

DS gets cow's milk while I'm at work and nurses once or twice a day when we're together. My supply was always lower on the days/weeks I was home with and not pumping than when I was pumping at work, so naturally my supply has dropped a lot since I stopped pumping at work the week he turned one. But he has not stopped totally refusing the breast which leads me to think there's still enough there for him to continue for the time being.

Quite a few moms on the BFing board have been able to maintain supply by nursing at night and on weekends when with baby even though they've quit pumping at work.

• Options
    Thanks for the reply!  I am hoping that we can be successful in this.  I am not ready to end our nursing relationship but I cannot wait to break up with the breast pump!

Then we had you.6.16.12
    Now we have everything.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    SigirSigir member
    I nursed my dd who is 8 yrs old until she was 3. After 1, I stopped pumping at work. My supply was fine. By one year your supply should be so well established that it should be able to easily adjust to that.

Your dc should not be confused by getting cows milk during the day but honestly if you are still night nursing your dc should be fine without a lot of cows milk during the day. If your dc was sttn it might be different, but w night feedings IMO it's fine if she gets minimal milk during the day.

Don't stress it! IMO one year plus nursing is when it gets really easy and rewarding. Enjoy.
  • Options
    I stopped pumping at work at 11 months and continued nursing at home.  It didn't work but I think I was the exception. My supplied tanked very quickly, and I was having to prep a bottle at night after nursing because DS would be inconsolably hungry after nursing for a long time.  I think the real reason for this was because I worked 2nd shift and wasn't nursing DS until his first MOTN nursing around midnight.  My body couldn't keep producing when there was such a long span between nursing sessions.  I think its very possible if you can nurse in the early am, go to work and nurse again in the evening.  I also always had nursing issues.  I think you will be fine.  Lots of people told me how they did this and how well it worked for them.  I was disappointed but it lead to a very gradual and natural weaning that DS didn't even notice, so I was happy about that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses ladies!

I am going to give this a try. FX!

Then we had you.6.16.12
    Now we have everything.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"