August 2012 Moms
Options

Baby Proofing

I've done a few minor things throughout the house, but now that DS is getting more mobile I see that more needs to be done.

We've run into some issues and I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with the same things.

1st we have drawers in our kitchen that don't have anywhere for me to put the latch on to secure them.  What I mean is the part that gets screwed onto the underside of the drawer that the latch hooks onto, there is nowhere for me to put that.  I've searched high and low for alternatives but can't find any...

2nd we have a split level house, so our main living area is on the 2nd floor (technically).  Our couch is up against the railing to the stairwell because of the layout of the living room/dining room/kitchen.  Which means when DS climbs up on the couch theres a 5 to 8 foot drop from the other side if he falls.  The space between the railing and the ceiling is like 4 to 5 feet so I have no idea how to make it safe except to build a wall...

Anyone have to deal with anything like this?  Or have any suggestions that I haven't thought of?

I love this stage, but I miss being able to set DS down somewhere and know that he wouldn't move, lol.

Gus Gus
Born: August 27th, 2012
8lbs. 15oz. 20" @ 7:07pm
August 2012 July Siggy: Pool Baby
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Follow The White Rabitt

Re: Baby Proofing

• Options
    We have the same issue with the drawers. As of right now, we haven't found a solution so I will be watching this post! Good luck.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagesmile50208:
    We have the same issue with the drawers. As of right now, we haven't found a solution so I will be watching this post!

Good luck.

Same here!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Re: your kitchen, is there a way to put up baby gates in the entryway(s) of your kitchen? That's our temp solution for now to keep DS out. We only latched the cabinet under the sink and the pantry with the plastic shopping bags.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Do you have drawer pulls or handles? We have drawer handles and we put a yard stick through all then handles in then kitchen (they were all vertically lined up). Hth!

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm having a problem visualizing why you can't latch the drawers, so this might not help, but I really like these, they're magnetic instead of latching. They won't budge at all, so no worries about them pinching their little fingers. 

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Options

1. We didn't babyproof the drawers. I'm not worried about it.

2. Can you move the couch? Our living room is obnoxiously disarranged currently because of trying to block G from things, but that's the way it has to be for now. Our couch is against a wall.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options
    Can you baby gate off the kitchen? That's our solution. Ds can't open drawers yet [because they don't have drawer pulls, just a notch at the top] but he can open the refrigerator, so we gated off the kitchen.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebigbootyjudi:

1. We didn't babyproof the drawers. I'm not worried about it.

2. Can you move the couch? Our living room is obnoxiously disarranged currently because of trying to block G from things, but that's the way it has to be for now. Our couch is against a wall.

This exactly.  We moved anything sharp/breakable to higher drawers and have one locked cabinet to put things that didn't fit higher up.  Our living room looks absurd. 

• Options

A gate might be a possiblity, but oh lord another gate... LOL we already have so many.

To explain further about the drawers, there are no handles just a lip on the top to pull them out.  And there are two parts to the drawer locks, one piece goes on the drawer face the other goes underneath inside the drawer, there is no where for me to put the inside piece on. 

As for the living room, moving the couch is an option but it would mean facing backwards to the TV... LOL - DH would love that.

Gus Gus
    Born: August 27th, 2012
    8lbs. 15oz. 20" @ 7:07pm
    August 2012 July Siggy: Pool Baby

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Follow The White Rabitt

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"