VBAC
Options

Seeking Advice on VBAC vs. RCS

I apologize. This will probably be long. I'm going to be as detailed as possible...I know some of these details shouldn't matter. But I'm not sure which ones should.

My first child was born in December 2011. I was induced at 41 weeks and never had signs of labor prior (BH contractions, mucus plug, nothing). I had 18 hours of labor before it was decided that he wasn't completely head down...more sideways. During labor I never got past 3cm. My water was broken for me. And I held out a very good while (15-16 hours) before caving to the epidural.

My son wasn't horribly large... 8lbs, 9.4 oz. He looked like a little wide football player. He has always had a large head. My husband is a large guy that comes from a large family. He's 6'4 300+ pounds and also built like a football player. I'm not even 5ft and fairly petite.

So now I'm 14 weeks pregnant with #2. I just found out that my current doctor (that delivered DS) is leaving the office I'm seeing. She's going to a well known and liked other office in the area. I was all for following her until I just learned that they don't support VBACs. So now I'm really struggling with what to do. I dislike the other 2 doctors at my current practice.

I was hoping to hold off my VBAC vs RCS until later in the game... Kinda let nature decide for me (or at least my 37 week u/s and body give me more of an idea). Deep down I have huge doubts that I would ever be able to have a successful VBAC....but taking it off the table is difficult. I feel that each time I talk to a provider (OB, NPs at my office, etc) they all optimistically tell me that the decision is mine. But no one is willing to tell me what leaves the odds in my favor and what doesn't.

So I'm looking for some opinions and advice from you ladies. There aren't a lot of options of offices here. I really feel like I'm stuck between leaving my office and nailing down a RCS with a doctor I like or staying in my current office with doctors a I don't like and leaving an option of a VBAC on the table...that I may or may not get to attempt.

In addition to opinions/insights on your own personal experience... I'm meeting with my doctor for the last time (at this office at least) on the 31st. Is there anything you think I should ask her specifically?

Thanks so much!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Seeking Advice on VBAC vs. RCS

• Options

Ask for a referral to a VBAC friendly doctor.

DD1 was my scheduled CS due to presentation and low AF. DD2 was my very successful VBAC with just over 18 months between deliveries. Even though I have a 2nd degree tear from the VBAC it was a much more positive birth experience for me, as well as a much better recovery. I very much enjoy that I can lift up DD1 and laugh and sneeze without feeling like I'm going to die.

PS I know all offices are different but my OB let me past my EDD with DD2. Had I not gone into labor on my own, we would've had an U/S @ 41 weeks to see if LO was content with staying inside or needing to be induced. 

"What are you having?" "Well the radiologist says its a healthy little human baby. I'm a little disappointed, because I really wanted a puppy." LOL
  • Options

Also, check out the VBAC Guidelines on the ACOG site. I was told by 4 OBs that it was not recommended I VBAC after 2 c-sections, but according to this organization, that sets guidelines for OBs and GYNs, they actually DO recommend that a woman has a trial of labor for a VBA2C. It was changed 2 years ago to recommend this. There's also a checklist on there that gives the reasons you'd be a good candidate for it, and if you meet those, then you will have the confidence to try OB after OB until you get one that supports you. My 5th OB said yes, and knew about the change to the guidelines that the other OBs didn't, and knew I was a good candidate. I'm so glad I kept looking.

Good luck! 

Expecting Baby #3 to complete our family. 
    I have an adventurous 2 Year Old Toddler Boy & thoughtful 4 Year Old LIttle Girl! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    photo 172b031e-21cf-454e-ae3f-ea3666c05af5.jpg

photo BellyProgressionForSignature-32wks.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Get a different doctor, for sure. Do not allow medical professionals to make that choice for you if it isn't strictly necessary.

I would look for a doctor that is willing to let you go as long as possible without inducing (typically contra-indicated in VBAC, although some drs. will do it), since this will give your body the best chance.

Also I highly recommend starting to get weekly acupuncture at 38 weeks, this was not only recommended by my OB but apparently studies have shown that it works for naturally bringing on labor! 

• Options
    My new OB said acupuncture was okay with her to help bring on labor, too!
    Expecting Baby #3 to complete our family. 
    I have an adventurous 2 Year Old Toddler Boy & thoughtful 4 Year Old LIttle Girl! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    photo 172b031e-21cf-454e-ae3f-ea3666c05af5.jpg

photo BellyProgressionForSignature-32wks.jpg
  • Options
    I'm debating about VBAC. 2 doctors gave me 2 different opinions and in the end I'm doing what I think is right. Waiting for the due date, seeing how it goes, and if needed will do a C-section. Hopefully this next one will push out and not be pulled out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"