Working Moms
Options

Interview Attire Question

First of all, a big thanks to groovygrl for inspiring me to use a stylist a Nordstrom. Heaven. Can't wait to do that again.

She convinced me to purchase a sleeveless sheath and a suit jacket for my interview.

So here are my questions.

1. Hose or no hose? I prefer none but don't want to be inappropriate.

2. We are in the middle of a heat wave here. Is it ok for me go without the jacket during my presentation and/or one on ones?

It is a business casual research environment.

Re: Interview Attire Question

• Options

imageshannm:
    First of all, a big thanks to groovygrl for inspiring me to use a stylist a Nordstrom. Heaven. Can't wait to do that again. She convinced me to purchase a sleeveless sheath and a suit jacket for my interview. So here are my questions. 1. Hose or no hose? I prefer none but don't want to be inappropriate. 2. We are in the middle of a heat wave here. Is it ok for me go without the jacket during my presentation and/or one on ones? It is a business casual research environment.

I've always wanted to try out the stylist at Nordstrom! 

I would err on the side of caution and wear the hose.

Yes, wear the jacket during the presentation.

Follow their lead as far as taking off your jacket during your interview process.  

Good luck! 

"Fvuck 'em if they can't take a joke." - Bette Midler Boom Shaka Laka Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageshannm:
    First of all, a big thanks to groovygrl for inspiring me to use a stylist a Nordstrom. Heaven. Can't wait to do that again. She convinced me to purchase a sleeveless sheath and a suit jacket for my interview. So here are my questions. 1. Hose or no hose? I prefer none but don't want to be inappropriate. 2. We are in the middle of a heat wave here. Is it ok for me go without the jacket during my presentation and/or one on ones? It is a business casual research environment.

So glad to hear it b/c I would have felt really terrible if someone went based on my review and hated it!!!!! :)

I hate the hose question as well but I tend to lean toward it for an interview, personally, though partially b/c my legs are SO SO pale and next to black it is just ghastly... I overdress & go more conservative than my normal dress for interviews though, I feel like it is better safe than sorry...

I also would leave the jacket on and gauge the rest of the audience. If there are women in sleeveless and the room is really warm, I might take it off but maybe acknowledge it in some way w/ a polite comment about the weather and hoping no one minds. I wouldn't do it during the presentation though.  I assume the building will be air conditioned so it might really not be that hot in there anyway...

Did you get anything else?  I got an email from mine about their big July sale for fall clothes but I can't bear to drop a huge amt so close tot he last time, I think maybe I'll go back in late August or early Sept to try to get some new fall/winter items...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    LoCarbLoCarb member

For an interview...

Yes, wear hose and a jacket. Remember to dress one step above your audience (even in the hot summer).  

GL!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

1. I would prefer to be overdressed than under-dressed, so I'd wear hose.

2. I would keep the jacket on, especially if you are wearing a sleeveless blouse underneath.  If it was a button up and you saw others without, I think you would be fine. Hopefully the AC will keep you cool.  I always sweat like crazy during interviews, so I like having that extra layer so it isn't obvious.

laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I would err on the side of caution and always wear hose. Even if its a younger company, you could still have people (like me) who would frown on not wearing hose. It may be business casual company, but you never know. I'd personally rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

As far as the jacket, plan on wearing it. Most office buildings are air conditioned to the point of being frigid. If it's not and you find yourself getting uncomfortable, take a look at what others were wearing, and if you think it's acceptable, take it off. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLoCarb:

For an interview...

Yes, wear hose and a jacket. Remember to dress one step above your audience (even in the hot summer).  

GL!!!

ITA 

• Options
    imagerockychryslerb2010:

1. I would prefer to be overdressed than under-dressed, so I'd wear hose.

2. I would keep the jacket on, especially if you are wearing a sleeveless blouse underneath.  If it was a button up and you saw others without, I think you would be fine. Hopefully the AC will keep you cool.  I always sweat like crazy during interviews, so I like having that extra layer so it isn't obvious.

This word for word. Overdressed is always better. And AC will likely keep you cool (and I too sweat when the adrenaline is pumping so prefer a dark jacket over any blouse).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    shannmshannm member
    imagegroovygrl:

Did you get anything else?  I got an email from mine about their big July sale for fall clothes but I can't bear to drop a huge amt so close tot he last time, I think maybe I'll go back in late August or early Sept to try to get some new fall/winter items...

I did appease my addiction to Cole Haans and bought a new pair of pumps but I couldn't really justify anything else prior to getting a job offer.   However, if I get an offer, I will be going back to overhaul my wardrobe.  

Guess I am off to find a pair of hose.....probably way over-thinking it.  I am meeting with all men who probably won't even think twice about what I am wearing.  Better safe than sorry though! 

• Options
    imageshannm:
    imagegroovygrl:

I did appease my addiction to Cole Haans and bought a new pair of pumps but I couldn't really justify anything else prior to getting a job offer.   However, if I get an offer, I will be going back to overhaul my wardrobe.  

Guess I am off to find a pair of hose.....probably way over-thinking it.  I am meeting with all men who probably won't even think twice about what I am wearing.  Better safe than sorry though! 

Wishing you good luck on the interview & hopefully a return trip to Nordstrom :) hehe. 

So true about the men though I guess you never know, there could be some fashion conscious or conservative judgy guy in there so I'd definitely  go the more conservative route. GL!

• Options

I would keep the jacket on at all times---there is no time that is appropriate during a job interview for a potential employer to see you sleeveless.

No hose, it's summer. 

Good luck! 

• Options
    We just did an interview today and my male co worker commented on how the lady was dressed. He was upset that she wasn't in a full formal outfit. One tip to remember is this is the best dressed your future coworkers will ever see you, so go all out. You can save your receipts for tax purposes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"