C-sections

RCS in 10 days, getting nervous about the spinal!

Hello ladies! I talked to my OB the other day asking if I would get an epi like I did with DD 4 years ago and she said no, it would be a spinal! That scares the crap outta me! I have a friend who had one with her delivery, no C-section, and wound up with a killer spinal headache, had to go and get a bloodpatch a couple of days after she delivered :(  I just don't know what to expect with those. Do they last long? Do you have to lay flat for hours afterwards? I want to start BF'ng asap. Of all things to be nervous about right? 
Cheryl (26) Andy (25) Married 1 year as of 8-17-13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: RCS in 10 days, getting nervous about the spinal!

• I had a spinal with both of my c/s.  With my twins I was able to BF as soon as I got back to my room (there is no recovery room so as soon as you're stitched up you go back to your room). 

This past c/s I had a spinal and the worst part was that if I sat up too high for the first hour or two I would start to feel nauseous.  

I didn't have a spinal headache with either and I believe they're pretty rare.  The spinal isn't any better/worse than the epi IMO (I had an epi with DS1).  

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • I had a spinal with my last two sections (first was general anesthesia), and I had no problems with a spinal headache. With DD I did have the "shakes" I shivered the entire time, and for a few hours after. I wasn't cold, and the shaking didn't bother me, it was just a random reaction.

With DS2 I had a harder time after my spinal because my bp was so high right before the spinal and then it bottomed out and they gave me some epi, and my iv had Zofran in it so I was super sleepy after.

All in all, the worst part for me is staring at my feet in recovery trying to force them to move so I could go back to my room, haha!

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• Loading the player...
  • imagetranscriber87:
    and wound up with a killer spinal headache, had to go and get a bloodpatch a couple of days after she delivered :(  I just don't know what to expect with those. Do they last long? Do you have to lay flat for hours afterwards? I want to start BF'ng asap. Of all things to be nervous about right? 

I have now had 3 (first kid was an Epi Csection). I have had spinal headaches twice. No blood patch because they felt I was not in enough pain, even though the nurses were pushing for them to do one on me.

With my last child, I was a 3pm Csection and they had me trying to take a few steps by 10 or 11pm. They do give you pain killers before it wears off. Outside of the spinal, it reminded me like the Epi.

No, I did not lay flat for hours afterwards. They let me sit up if I wanted to in recovery. Not as far as the bed will go, but I certainly was not flat. Also in my room I was sitting up further.

As far as breastfeeding, you can do it right away. Although every hospital is different in if they allow baby while you are in recovery. So I suggest you let it be known that you want your baby in recovery. I was sewn up and my daughter was brought to me within 2 minutes of me being in the recovery room and I had her to the breast.

It's ok to be nervous. I am nervous every time I have a child. I know the bad that I get to look forward to. It is natural. The good does outweigh the bad! You get to finally meet your little one!

Edit: First child was an Epi followed by 3 spinal blocks
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • imageMaineMama:

I had a spinal with my last two sections (first was general anesthesia), and I had no problems with a spinal headache. With DD I did have the "shakes" I shivered the entire time, and for a few hours after. I wasn't cold, and the shaking didn't bother me, it was just a random reaction.

With DS2 I had a harder time after my spinal because my bp was so high right before the spinal and then it bottomed out and they gave me some epi, and my iv had Zofran in it so I was super sleepy after.

All in all, the worst part for me is staring at my feet in recovery trying to force them to move so I could go back to my room, haha!

You know, I was shaking uncontrollably in the OR and my Mom said she did too when she had me...I remember lots of blankets out of a warmer being put on me.  Felt soo good!

Cheryl (26) Andy (25) Married 1 year as of 8-17-13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had a spinal and I didn't get a headache, but I did shake really really bad. I also got really nauseous, but that only lasted a few minutes and they gave me something for it. I heard I would have to lay flat for hours, but my doctor said that wasn't true. To be honest, it really wasn't that bad. The initial stick hurt, but after that it wasn't bad. GL! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jefkjefk member
    I also had a spinal with my c/s, and it honestly wasn't bad (though I have nothing to compare it to, I'm a FTM).  My lovely side effect was nausea and vomiting - I threw up bile every 30 minutes for HOURS afterwards, even with anti-nausea meds.  The spinal wore off after a couple hours, but I wasn't up and walking until the next day - wish I hadn't waited so long, I was constipated for days.
  • I had a spinal with my cs. I only felt a sting with the numbing injection. It took a little longer than they wanted to set in and needed to tilt the table to help it along. It did take affect and worked just fine. I was able to move my legs a little immediately after but not much. I regained movement within 5 hours. Maybe before but I didn't really try much. I had no side effects. I breast fed immediately after and didn't have to lay flat at all.
  • Tallulahsmom, I'm with you. I'm nervous about a spinal....maybe because of my "fondness" of needles..
  • Thanks to all of you ladies who responded! I feel a little better now! I was nauseous in the OR with my last one but they gave me something IV..I cant imagine the vomiting after an abdominal surgery :(

• I had the spinal on saturday, I'm noticing some back pain right now but I'm not sure if that's from it or just BFing and slouching.

I got the shakes really bad, and everything itched. OMG did things ever itch. 

But on the plus when the feeling came back in my legs it felt really really really good. I felt like I could orgasm out of my legs if someone touched them. Super weird. 

• I had a spinal for both sections and had no issues with either experience. I did not have to lie flat afterwards and I was able to breastfeed both children as soon as I was in recovery (which was less than an hour after each surgery).  It is normal to feel nervous, so definitely go over your fears with your anesthesiologist when you meet with him/her prior to going to the OR.  They'll be able to calm you down and also talk you through the procedure as they do it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"