Food & Nutrition
Options

Season or unseasoned food

I'm just starting my little one on solids. I've give her tastes of different foods but mostly bananas and oatmeal cereal. I'm worried if I give her food we are having that the seasoning will affect her tummy. Should I not use any or are their certain ones to stay away from.

Re: Season or unseasoned food

• Options
    I would stay away from hot spices, as those might hurt her mouth and upset her tummy, but I give DD all of what we eat and make sure I also season her foods.  I want her to get used to the different flavors.  I'll use cinnamon/ginger in cereals or on steamed carrots.  I put onion/garlic powder on veggies/meats.  So far the only thing she's not a fan of are herbs that are harder, like rosemary.  That's more of a texture thing than a taste one, though.  Have fun!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options

How old is she?

We started BLW at 6 months, so I don't have any advice for prior to that.  But beginning at 6 months, spices are fabulous - with the exception of salt.  Seasoning will not affect her stomach.  A lot of babies have a predilection for garlic, and when I was cooking for our family at that time since I wasn't using salt, I upped my use of cinnamon, basil, oregano, and other spices.

In terms of "heat" my guy was NOT a spicy food fan.  So I had to tone down that, but every baby is different.  One of the little ones on my BMB loved sriracha - which is too hot even for me!

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Outside of too much salt, which isn't good for anyone there aren't any spices to avoid unless your LO doesn't like the taste of course. Even salt is fine in moderation.

My LO loves chili, and I make it fairly spicy. He really prefers foods with lots of flavor vs. bland oatmeal. And I can't say I blame him. 

imageimage
  • Options
    I'm going to introduce foods with their natural flavor first but once she's tried "everything" I'm going to start spices. She'll probably be 6.5-7 months old before I start.
  • Options
    I'm thinking of doing BLW, so things like steamed carrots, broccoli etc to start with, but then they will just eat when we are eating! So season away I say.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"