Pre-School and Daycare
Options

is it worth getting a balance bike at age 4?

we never really got into the balance bike thing, they have tricycles but we want to get 2 wheelers for their 4th bday...seems a bit late to go balance bike though b/c they see the other kids their age on bikes w/ pedals & to drop over $200 on 2 balance bikes when they'll want regular pedal bikes likely within the year seems silly. Thoughts?  Also, if it is really flat, how do they 'go'? We live in a reallllllly flat area, very minimal inclines...and if the incline is up and there isn't a down incline before it, do they have to walk themselves?

Re: is it worth getting a balance bike at age 4?

• Options

imagefredalina:
    You can take the pedals and chain off a regular bike and add them later. The weight balance isn't best for small kids but at 4 it should be fine. They "go" by the kids striding them and then walking with them. Then as they get better they run with them, and eventually they push off with both feet and glide.

Yeah, what she said.  If they're coming off trikes, then I would say, yeah worth it.  A bike you get them at 4, will be out grown for sure by 6.  But for DD's 5th bday we got her a 16 inch.  My soon-to-be fours aren't even close to big enough for a 16 inch.  I think the balance bikes are fine because they should carry them through to a bigger size.  When I was a kid, no one used training wheels.  You went right to a 2-wheeler.  I guess I wanted to ski[p that whole training wheels thing too.  So far so good!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks! I called our local bike shop to see if they would take pedals etc off for us (we're NOT handy, I would not even try this myself even if someone tells me it is easy...) and they said definitely. I think I'll just take the kids to the store & see what fits. They're both on the short side (DS is prob avg, DD is definitely short) so we'll see.  I just anticipate them asking why other friends/kids their age have pedals or training wheels, as they're already talking about them. LOL. Oh well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

As I said in the other post, we love the balance bike.  I am amazed at how fast my DS can go on it.  It's very lightweight (which a regular bike with no pedals wouldn't be as light) so he can push off the sidewalk, pick up his feet and go.  I live in IL so you can't get much flatter than that.  We have one "hill" on our walk in which he puts his feet up and glides all the way down.

My DS also asks about pedals and training wheels.  He thinks he needs training wheels, but we're going try and skip them.  He doesn't seem to care.  He is the only one around here with one.  He can almost keep up with the kids on bikes. 

I would definitely try the smaller bike with no pedals first, if you don't want to spend the money on a balance bike.  It definitely teaches balance!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    rsd12rsd12 member
    My older boys transitioned easily from bikes with training wheels to two wheels. My oldest was 5 and my middle son was 4 when they were ready. I found that using a two wheeled scooter really helped with balancing.

We just bought our 3 and a half year old a bike with training wheels, but he is no where ready to pedal yet. He is shorter than the other boys.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options
    Just get bikes with training wheels. They are like $50 at Walmart. I have two kids on real bikes with out the help of balance bikes.
  • Options

imageheymommy:
    Just get bikes with training wheels. They are like $50 at Walmart. I have two kids on real bikes with out the help of balance bikes.

LOL- just like potty training, dressing, saying first word- this is true- they pretty much ALL end up on two wheels. 

• Options

LOL. totally.... 

• Options
    imageLoveEeyore:

imageheymommy:

LOL- just like potty training, dressing, saying first word- this is true- they pretty much ALL end up on two wheels. 

This is so very true.  Everyone thinks their way is right, even though all kids are able to do these skills eventually.  What works for one kid is not always the best for another.

• Options
    My DD received a balance bike when she was 2, and has had zero interest in riding it until the past month or so. Now she loves it all of a sudden. We bought her a bike for her 4th birthday, but she has ridden it 2x. She only wants to ride her balance bike right now. So I think it's worth it to get the balance bike.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

My older two kids got regular bikes with training wheels at age 4.  DS1 was riding without training wheels at 5.5.   DD didn't get it until 7.5 (she's less of an outdoor girl).  

DS2, 3.5, has a balance bike.  It was given to us when he was 2.  He has seriously taken in interest in it the last month or two.  He is gliding.  I have no doubts he will most certainly transfer to a regular bike (sans training wheels) earlier than my other two.  

I don't think there is a right or wrong way.  Maybe ask your kids what they'd prefer or take them to try out several.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DS is 4, and rides a 16 in. bike with training wheels. DD is 2.5, and rides a 12 in. bike with training wheels. Both my kids love their bikes, and will regularly ride 1-2 miles in them. I get the idea behind balance bikes, but I don't see how they would work for what my kids do with their bikes. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"