January 2014 Moms
Options

I went jet skiing

There's nothing I can do, since I already did it, but now I'm wondering if I should worry. I am on vacation in Maine and went jet skiing on the lake yesterday.

It didn't even occur to me that this was bad. My husband was a bit concerned, and said to be careful, and I did. Everyone else was speeding around the lake at 60-70 mph, but I kept it to about 30 - 35. I avoided wake and big waves, though I did hit some bumps and bounce around a little, but definitely not hard.

Anyway it wasn't until after I got back, and called my sister and she freaked out on me and told me I was crazy and that jet skiing is a huge no-no during pregnancy, did it even occur to me that I should worry. I feel fine, and I have no reason to suspect anything is wrong, but my sister has me all freaked out! What do you guys think?

TWO Babies in 2014!
DS #1 Born 01/07/2014, DS #2 Born 12/17/2014

Re: I went jet skiing

• Options
    Why is it a big no no?  I'm curious.  I think people overreact so much when you're pregnant. 
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• Options

My doc said no to anything that required me to stand and balance, just because we can have get so unbalanced so quickly.  But last month I rode a Sea-Doo (that you sit on), and it was fine.  I didn't do crazy bumps or tricks.  

My thinking is if I am cleared to have sex, I can handle a little cruising.  I also did it super early in the morning so I had less traffic to deal with.

AnnRenee 1/21/03
    Luke 12/30/2013
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it is more of a no no in late pregnancy bc it can cause you to go into labor, but at 12 weeks your baby is very protected deep in your uterus still.  I agree with other moms that posted if you are cleared for sex then a little bumping around should be no need for concern. 
  • Options

As long as you didn't fall off, I'm guessing you're ok. I actually looked into this because I like to jet ski, but personally I decided not to do it. Aside from the bouncing, there's also the impact with the water if you fall off. I've also read that there is concern about water being forcibly pushed up into your vagina if you land on your rear end. I don't know about all of that, but it's something I remember reading and thinking, "yeah, I actually have gotten a vag full of water before." LOL :)

There's nothing you can do about it now. Don't beat yourself up. Chances are good that everything will be ok.

ETA: A quick google search found several articles about water shoved up the vag. I guess it is a bit of a concern. 

• Options
    If you didn't fall, you're likely fine.  I thin the reason they say it's a no-no is because your center of gravity can be off when pg and if you're standing on the jetski, it's easy to lose balance and as peanut mentioned.....water up the vag is a big concern.  Sounds like you're ok though :)
  • Options
    imageDishylo:
    If you didn't fall, you're likely fine.nbsp; I thin the reason they say it's a nono is because your center of gravity can be off when pg and if you're standing on the jetski, it's easy to lose balance and as peanut mentioned.....water up the vag is a big concern.nbsp; Sounds like you're ok though :

I love to jet ski but havnt. I was going to say all of this and what peanut said.
     ***********************************************************************************************
      blogbutton badge!!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    The water up the vag thing is something that would never occur to me, but it makes sense as a concern. Otherwise, I would imagine there is also the risk of falling. I was only cleared to keep riding my horses until 13 weeks when the uterus is not longer protected in the pelvic girdle in case of a fall. My OB with DD was a fellow equestrian and said the bouncing was not an issue, just falling--especially as your belly gets bigger and your balance is more and more affected.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My girlfriend was wake boarding at 21 weeks. She's done it her whole life. I think if it's something you're used to doing you will be ok! That's awesome that you can do that anyways.
  • Options

imageaessary03:
    I think people overreact so much when you're pregnant. 

This!! I know there are certain things like rollercoasters that aren't the best idea, but seriously?? I shouldn't go on a carousel because I'm pregnant?? Crazy! 

• Options
    ccip82ccip82 member

imageKatieMeaux:
    My girlfriend was wake boarding at 21 weeks. She's done it her whole life. I think if it's something you're used to doing you will be ok! That's awesome that you can do that anyways.

I think that is seriously nuts. I have been wakeboarding for many years and even with my experience I got a serious concussion. Shiit happens-sometimes out of your control. Wakeboarding while pregnant is definitely not advisable.

OP- I am sure you are just fine! Please do not stress over it. In the future though, personally, I would not go jet skiing. For me, it is not a risk I am willing to take. I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Options
    imagepeanut+muse:

As long as you didn't fall off, I'm guessing you're ok. I actually looked into this because I like to jet ski, but personally I decided not to do it. Aside from the bouncing, there's also the impact with the water if you fall off. I've also read that there is concern about water being forcibly pushed up into your vagina if you land on your rear end. I don't know about all of that, but it's something I remember reading and thinking, "yeah, I actually have gotten a vag full of water before." LOL :)

There's nothing you can do about it now. Don't beat yourself up. Chances are good that everything will be ok.

ETA: A quick google search found several articles about water shoved up the vag. I guess it is a bit of a concern. 

We're a big wakeboarding family and we call that the lake douche. ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageaessary03:
    Why is it a big no no?nbsp; I'm curious.nbsp; I think people overreact so much when you're pregnant.nbsp;

This x100. It's fine, as long as you weren't like 30 weeks with a partially detached uterus or open cervix, I wouldn't worry. Your baby is well protected and I'm sure it loved you sending happy fun energy through to him or her.
  • Options
    I'm with the wake boarders - I've had some serious falls catching an edge and I think the concern is falling and the impact causing the placenta to separate, which is the same concern for a roller coaster.  Though my OB just banned my high heels because he is afraid I will fall. He said I could do a small heel. Ugh, seems insane, I'm short and have worn heels for like 15 years. I can even run in them. 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    There are actually cases of women not pregnant who have damaged their insides from water entering the vag from water skiing, so please don't go again! I mean you are fine this time, but if you were to fall off it could be a different story.
  • Options
    Thanks all! Definitely not going again, we only rented the jet skis for one day. But I'm glad you agree that I'm probably fine. My sister freaked me out!
    TWO Babies in 2014!
    DS #1 Born 01/07/2014, DS #2 Born 12/17/2014

• Options
    I'm jet skiing this weekend. I can control how fast I go and how crazy I get. Obviously I'm not going to go crazy at all. I'm just going to cruise around and take it easy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"