Working Moms
Options

Going back to work next week, how to ask for part time?

My maternity leave ends next week and I am set to go back to work. I actually want to go back, but only part time. I would like to work 3-4 days a week ideally. I had talked to my previous manager about the possibility of going part time, but while I have been gone he has been replaced with a new manager that I don't know. Now I am scared to bring it up since I don't know this manager, and don't want to immediately start making a lot of requests. Should I bring it up immediately or try and wait a few weeks? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog

Re: Going back to work next week, how to ask for part time?

• Options
    MrsHKMrsHK member
    I'd feel it out the first few days. When they ask how leave was, or how it feels to be back leave it open ended. Say something like, "that's something I'd like to discuss with you when you have a moment to sit down. I'd like to run some ideas by you". Then be ready with a mapped out document of how you expect your compensation to change based on your proposed schedule. Also have in your written proposal what responsibilities you propose dropping in those hours you won't be there and your plan on how the company will handle them elsewhere.
    Proverbs 12:10 "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals ChipMonkey 3/19/08 *** Turtle 1/26/10 *** CarBear 10/06/11
  • Options

To me it would depend on your job, how it could work if you went part time, where/to whom the rest of your responsibilities would go, what the culture & history is at your employer w/ ppl working p/t or switching to p/t after being f/t, etc... I would definitely have a clear plan mapped out like pp said. If they would still be paying full benefits on you at whatever hours you are proposing and would have to hire someone to fill the extra, I would anticipate every response possible...but maybe I'm a skeptic. GL!

Could you consider anything like hour flexibility or WFH type of things to compromise if they're not game for p/t?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I tend to be pretty upfront.

"New Boss,  I had discussed with Old Boss some options around working part time.  I'm wondering whether it might be possible to explore some options together in the context of our team's current priorities and projects."

You are not asking for a yes or no.  You are just asking for a conversation. That opens the door for new boss to share his/her feelings on the subject. Then you can launch in to a couple proposals. 

• Options
    Does your company currently offer part-time work, or will this be a completely new thing?  Asking them to allow a first part-time position is a very different conversation from asking to switch in an environment where PT is already established.
  • Options
    I'd say it up front, so it doesn't come across the you're asking becaus e you can't handle the job or are too overwhelmed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Some people there have managed to do part time in the past. No one I know does it currently, but I talked to someone (not in my work group but in the same building) that was allowed to do part time. Many other people do the same job I do, so job sharing wouldn't really be necessary, they are always moving the work around to even out the workload. I don't need any health benefits from them since I am covered under my husband. I assume my pay would just be 3/5ths of what is it now if I worked 3 days a week.

I do know some people who work 4 10 hour days. I don't really want to do that though, it just seems so tiring when I am already so tired. 

• Options
    I definitely would bring it up sooner rather than later. And you can even say something like, "Old boss and I discussed the possibility of a part time schedule"...and have a definite plan regarding your workload, etc, etc. Let us know how it goes. 
    photo 9de7615e-e1c7-4dc7-be37-5cc4c9e4e703_zpse37bbba7.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

First, I agree that you need to bring it up sooner rather than later.  Second, you may want to approach it by saying, "I don't know if XYZ touched base with you on this, but we discussed..."

Part-time is not a status that is offered at my place of employment.  In my situation, I found that offering to give up benefits made my boss very agreeable to my part-time request.  It's not ideal, but I won't be part-time forever...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    AZ123AZ123 member
    I would bring it up to new manager in the next few weeks after you've had time to watch new manager and gage the best way to approach new manager based on his/her personality. Then, I would schedule a meeting and start by saying old boss had generaly approved and you'd like to still do part time and when could that start. I would tell new manager that you recognize that would be a change for new manager and the department so set a future date of when it could happen (like in a few months) so that they company/manager can help transition. That way, it makes it seem like you're working with them. This same situation happened to me when I went back to work. New manager knew that i wanted to go PT but I pushed back my PT start date until he was up to speed in his new position (i.e. I supported him as a team member so he wouldn't drown).
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for your input everyone! I got back on Wednesday so I will let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    Depends on your plan b. I requested part time the day I returned. I also told my mgr if I couldn't I would resign. I ended up resigning. If you don't mind quitting ask right away but if your manages declines it may be an awkward start for you with the new mgr.
  • Options
    I started on Wednesday so I wanted to do an update. I asked about going part time to my new Manager, and he said he "would get back to me." Since then he has come up to talk to me about other things on several occasions but hasn't brought up the part time again. Should I try to bring it up again on Monday? I am currently feeling a bit frustrated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"