Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Scratching and hair pulling

Our DD has lots of hair. She is 3 mons 3 wks and still swaddled in her bassinet which she is about to out grown. We are concerned about unswaddling her as she has a tendency to grab her hair, scratch her head and face. I especially fear she may poke her soft spot on her head. She is starting to show signs if rolling but because of the tight space of the bassinet she hasn't able to roll. It's inevitable that she will be transitioned to her crib soon. I need your advice as what options I would have especially with her scratching and hair pulling when her hands are free. Thanks

Re: Scratching and hair pulling

• Options

Since babies arms are proportionately short, and the soft spots are on the top and the back of their head, I high doubt she will poke it. Especially hard enough to do anything. Not to mention it is typically closed in the time range of 2-4 months. Scratching happens, there is not really much you can do about it, so I wouldn't really worry too much about that.

I wouldn't stop swaddling if it's working and she isn't actually rolling yet either. Putting the cart before the horse, especially if you have a sound sleeping baby.

You can certainly try, but I prefer going cold turkey. We did at 4 months, and DD did fine.  She scratches herself all the time, but they are usually gone the next day.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Options
    I cut my LO's nails every few days. Like seriously, every 3 days, otherwise she gets bloody scratches. So you can try that, it's sort of a pain but if her nails are always super short she wont scratch herself. You could try cutting her hair, or putting on a hat?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kmc84kmc84 member
    Can you put mittens on her to sleep in?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    imagerjeller32:

Not to mention it is typically closed in the time range of 2-4 months. 

The typical rate of closing of the fontanel in the back is 2 to 4 months, but the one on the top (and I think the one OP is worried about LO hitting) stays open for quite a bit longer, often well into their second year. 

OP, my DD hated being swaddled with her arms in and is rolling all over the place. As she got older, she stopped smacking herself in the head. She also has had long hair since birth and she pulls it pretty infrequently; I think she prefers to pull mine over hers! Also, I don't think I have ever seen her arms become straightened and coordinated enough to touch the fontanel on top. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thank you for all your advices and comments. It is so hard to cut her nails. The only time I can do it is when she is sleeping. But she is swaddled so her fingers are not accessible. When I hold her to sleep I need another person to hold her head in place so I can free my arm to clip since DH so not want to clip. But DH is rarely home during this time. I am so screwed huh!
  • Options

imageRochacha2013:
    Thank you for all your advices and comments. It is so hard to cut her nails. The only time I can do it is when she is sleeping. But she is swaddled so her fingers are not accessible. When I hold her to sleep I need another person to hold her head in place so I can free my arm to clip since DH so not want to clip. But DH is rarely home during this time. I am so screwed huh!

When I was afraid to cut my firstborns nails, I just bit them off instead. Gross, but it was easier. Now, I set DD in her high chair or her exersaucer and clip them. I am not too concerned about her wiggliness, it just takes a few minutes longer to do, and maybe a few tears while trying to escape me :)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Options
    Ds pjs have sleeves longer than his arms and the sleeves act like the newborn mittens when they cover his hands.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"