C-sections

Intro and curious

Hello ladies,

I have been lurking here for about a week. I tend to post more on TTGP and the Baby Names boards. I'm almost 30 (August), I've been married to my DH for almost 5 years (October), and we have a recently turned two year old DS.

I had a c-section with DS due to his head being a little TOO big for me. I pushed for 2.5-3 hours. He kept spinning and spinning while trying to come out, so we finally decided on c-section. I absolutely did not want one when the process started, but by that time I knew it was the only way to guarantee a safe entrance for him.

We are currently TTC #2 and I am curious about a second c-section. From what I've seen from lurking it looks like there are many that have had multiple c-sections, which makes me feel SO much better. I have thought about a VBAC and will talk to my OB when/if I get KU, however I wondered if any of you thought about it versus another c-section and what swayed you.  

Thanks! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Intro and curious

• Hi there! I've had two sections, the second was a failed VBAC and I'll be having my third section this fall. I had hoped for a VBAC with my second baby, but I went into labor 5 weeks early. They tried stopping my contractions with no luck and after 8 hours with several internal checks for progress I spiked a fever and the on call OB, who was not super thrilled with the idea of VBAC as was my regular OB, called a section. Honestly I was fine with it. I think I was in a bit of shock that I was in labor at all but I just wanted him here and to be safe. I knew a VBAC wasn't a guarantee but I at least gave it a shot so I was not crushed that it ended differently. I do still regret not having that bonding time immediately after birth, but since he was so early it wouldn't have happened with a vaginal birth either. He ended up with underdeveloped lungs and had a 2 week NICU stay.

Good luck with your decision!
    **Baby #3 is on the way!**
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't decide on a 2nd c/s, I was hoping for a VBAC.  My OB won't induce a VBAC and I was a few days shy of 41w and he didn't feel comfortable letting me go past 41w so we scheduled it for 41w.  My OB won't do a VBA2C so now I'll always be c/s and I'd like to deliver 2m times, so that's 2 more surgeries (and my OB will only "allow" 5 c/s to feel safe, if I deliver 2 more times I'd be at 4).

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a c-section due to failure to progress after induction.  The hospital where I live has a VBAC ban.  If I get pregnant again I would like to try a VBAC so I'm looking into my options for changing hospitals and OBs.  I want a VBAC because I'm terrified of surgery, especially another c-section.  Also, if I have another child it will be very soon because of my age and I do not want to be caring for an infant and a toddler while recovering from major surgery.
  • I chose to go for a VBAC because my son is waaaaay too active for me to be chasing around while healing from a c-section. He's not quite two, so still needs a lot of help with things. I also knew I would be upset with myself if I didn't at least TRY for a vaginal birth.

My VBAC was successful, and the recovery was much quicker than the c-section. I had a quick c-section recovery, but the VBAC one was even quicker.

Reasons I considered doing an RCS: control over when it would happen, knowing how the recovery would be, not having the stress of labor...but my desire for a VBAC was stronger.

In the end, you just have to pick what is right for you.

• Thank you all for sharing your stories. I really appreciate it. 

The VBAC and C-section conversations are ones that I will have with my OB when the time comes that I am pregnant. I guess in my mind I am convinced I'm just going to have a c-section, but I would like to hear if VBAC is a possibility. Then again, I do not want a VBAC turned unsafe situation either.

Thanks again! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Something to consider if you are at all interested in a VBAC is does your hospital allow them and if so does your OB do them?  Where I live the hospital has a VBAC ban so for me to have a VBAC I will have to find a different hospital and a different OB.  Even though I'm not pregnant I'm looking into my options now so I'm not scrambling in the first trimester to decide what to do and find an alternate care provider.  
  • imagemysticl:
    Something to consider if you are at all interested in a VBAC is does your hospital allow them and if so does your OB do them?  Where I live the hospital has a VBAC ban so for me to have a VBAC I will have to find a different hospital and a different OB.  Even though I'm not pregnant I'm looking into my options now so I'm not scrambling in the first trimester to decide what to do and find an alternate care provider.  

That's a very good point. Definitely something I will be researching. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagecrwelschmeyer:

Thank you all for sharing your stories. I really appreciate it. 

The VBAC and C-section conversations are ones that I will have with my OB when the time comes that I am pregnant. I guess in my mind I am convinced I'm just going to have a c-section, but I would like to hear if VBAC is a possibility. Then again, I do not want a VBAC turned unsafe situation either.

Thanks again! 

Something else to consider is a c/s turning into an unsafe situation, so please look at the risks of both!  Each person has to weigh the risks for their individual situation, but multiple c/s's have increased risks.  They are not a guaranteed safe procedure just like any surgery.  So you want to weigh the risks and benefits of both options.  Good luck!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"