Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Would you call the doctor????

Poor DD has had bad luck with a stomach bug of sorts this last year or so. She stayed home with DH and I until she was 2 and then started in home daycare. She got the occasional bug then, but nothing big.

I swear this last year, she's thrown up and/or had diarrhea probably at least 10 times. At least. This morning she was complaining of a stomach ache and I kept asking her if she thought she'd throw up, and she said no. It was her last day of summer school (Intro to 4K) and she wanted to go. As soon as DH walked in the door from dropping her off, we got a call from her teacher and DD had thrown up. Poor thing.

With DH and my work schedules and no family in the area to assist with watching her, it's very hard on us and I am constantly calling in sick.

Some co-workers have told me that they think she's sick too frequently and I should consider calling her doctor to get her checked out for allergies, etc. But even thinking back to yesterday, she ate nothing out of the ordinary at all.

I've just chalked it up to she's a puker and maybe just displays symptoms with stomach bugs more than other kids (I mean some kids are just pukers, right?). But now I"m starting to wonder because it really is frequent. At least once every 2 months, if not more during the "normal" cold and flu seasons. I'm at a loss and wondering if maybe it is time to have her checked out or is that just silly?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Would you call the doctor????

• Options
    She may just be a puker, but there is no harm in having her checked out. Better to have it checked out and be told she is fine than be sitting on something wrong. Is she in pain? Has she ever had a UTI or does she complain of pain when she pees? Is it that she has a upper respiratory tract infection and coughs so hard she throws up? 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Is she actually sick when she pukes or is it a one off thing with no other symptoms?  Callum is a puker - happens sometimes if he eats too fast/doesn't chew well or if he gets super upset.  For a while he had a stage of puking for no obvious reason - we think it was stress as it was right after Eleanor was born and he internalizes things instead of acting out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

She did have a UTI when she was 1 year and 10 months, but never complains of pain when she pees or any of the usual symptoms since then. No respiratory infections. This time around no fever. Just complained of a stomach ache in the morning, got to summer school and threw up. Threw up 4 seperate times after getting home and has diarrhea.

I'm thinking a call to the nurse line may be in order just to get their thoughts. I may also start a food log and see if I notice any trends.

• Options
    I think it is worth a call.  When my twins started preschool they were getting sick a lot.  I started them on probiotics and that has decreased their illnesses quite a bit.  Maybe see if your doc thinks that or any other dietary changes may help boost her immune system.  Good luck!
  • Options
    LoCarbLoCarb member
    I would mention it to the dr
  • Options
    ppantsppants member

Does she get anxious or nervous?  I know that if I'm worried about something, my GI tract is a mess. 

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options
    Honestly unless you suspect a specific allergy they are probably going to chalk it up to being a puker. Besides an allergy blood test anything else is very invasive. My kid is a puker too.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options

That does seem like a lot, eap if she is not new to daycare and also if no one else in the house gets anything similar around the same time or there aren't any other sick kids at school (not that they'll tell you but sometimes when something especially nasty is going around they will)... 

Does she ever get diarrhea with it, is it usually just a one time thing and she is back to normal within hours? Also does anyone else who takes care of her regularly get upset stomach or diarrhea around the same time? These are all things I would think about when wondering if it is really something viral or something else going on... Diarrhea isn't always along w vomiting but I would expect it occasionally or someone in your house to have some symptoms...also if it is typically just one puke or two close together and she is fine otherwise and has an appetite, etc i would wonder if it is something else like food or anxiety or something. Like others said, it can't hurt to talk to your pedi.

gl. 

• Options

I would get her fully checked out.  It may not be an allergy, but an intolerance.  It may not be a food allergy, but she could be getting sick because she has a post nasal drip that builds up (my mother does this). 

I would always contact my pedi over something that seems chronic, even if I cannot pinpoint the cause.   

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"