VBAC
Options

WWYD

Hi ladies, 

I've never been on this board before, so, HELLO! I have a question for you all.  

My daughter is 10.5 months old now.  She was 10lbs 3.5 oz when born, and I had an emergency C-section.  I had a traumatic surgery (epidural didn't take), but recovery was truly, easy on me.  

I had always wanted to push out my babies, but that wasn't an option last time.  AND my baby was so large, that I fear this next one might be the same size... and it might not be ideal for a VBAC.  My doc has suggested a stricter diet (I didn't have diabetes last time by any means, but limiting sugar won't hurt, she tells me). I'm undecided on whether or not I want a VBAC (If its possible) or if I'd rather a C-section.  I'm really, really undecided.  

Advice? Anything and everything goes, just tell me what you think.  Thanks :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Anniversary

Re: WWYD

• Options
    My DD was 10lbs 1oz, and I am hoping to VBAC in a few weeks. DD was posterior and got stuck. My MW is not concerned about this baby's size, though has been emphasizing a good diet (no GD either) to ensure optimal size and health. In general, I don't feel our bodies grow babies too big to handle. That being said, I am nervous about a similar outcome this time (more worried about position, but size too) but feel that the benefits are worth my best try. GL with your decision - it is a really personal choice and there are risks and benefits either way. 
  • Options

imagelovesjm:
    My DD was 10lbs 1oz, and I am hoping to VBAC in a few weeks. DD was posterior and got stuck. My MW is not concerned about this baby's size, though has been emphasizing a good diet (no GD either) to ensure optimal size and health. In general, I don't feel our bodies grow babies too big to handle. That being said, I am nervous about a similar outcome this time (more worried about position, but size too) but feel that the benefits are worth my best try. GL with your decision - it is a really personal choice and there are risks and benefits either way. 

Thanks for your words! I agree it can be a very personal choice and everyone will have their personal reasons for choosing whatever method they do.  I am just so up in the air that I am not very personal about it at this point! After my c-section, my husband got to do skin time with my daughter and I LOVED that. She adores him, and is such a daddys girl.  The skin contact was something very important to me in relation to a vaginal delivery, but it ended up working out. I am just so confused, one day I think I want a VBAC, the next, I don't.

My overall c-section experience was 'good' I'd say.  I reminisce all the time.  However, it seems that the vaginal delivery is an entirely different experience, and I don't want to miss it if I get the chance.  I also plan on having a big family, (3-4 kids), and sometimes around these parts, they won't allow you to have that many repeat C's.  :/ 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS was 10 lbs 2 oz.  I also did not have GD with him- he was just a big baby.  I changed providers for my VBAC.  She suggested I follow a modified GD diet from the beginning anyway.  She wasn't concerned either way- his size was not the cause of my c/s.  But DD was 8.5 lbs at birth.  Not sure if the diet helped or if that was just the size she was going to be. Bottom line is that big first baby doesn't equal big second!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options

Don't just assume you'll have another large baby. DS was 8lb 12oz born two days past his due date. DD was 6lb 6oz born a week early. Even if I'd made it to my due date with her, she wouldn't have been as large as DS.

I would keep your options open for a VBAC. If it's something that you really want, then you might regret closing off that option. My OB's office was very supportive, but they didn't push me to make any decisions about VBAC or RCS. Even at my appts at 36ish and 38ish weeks, they didn't make me schedule an induction or RCS. That really helped me stick with my plan for VBAC since I didn't feel pressure from them.

• Options

Having had two vaginal births and one C-Section I would LOVE the opportunity to try for VBAC.  They don't offer at the hospital I am giving birth.  I did tell my OB that if I go into labor on my own I will stay home and come to the hospital pushing! 

I opted for the C-section because they were estimating my baby was 10 lbs 12 oz and honestly it scared me a little.  My doctor never forced me to have it and left the decision up to us.  Had I done more research or thought that I would ever have another baby (I thought I was done with #3 but SURPRISE!) I would have at least tried.  He was born a healthy 10 lbs 10 oz so I do not totally regret having the c-section.

It is a personal decision whatever you choose but having done it both ways I wish I had the support from the hospital to at least try to VBAC this time!   My doctor is not against it it's the hospitals policy. 

• Options

Were you induced with your first? Was she late? How tall are you and your DH? 

imageLeanneOfHonour:

I also plan on having a big family, (3-4 kids), and sometimes around these parts, they won't allow you to have that many repeat C's.  :/ 

Because you want to have more kids, I would personally plan a VBAC. One of my big reasons for choosing VBAC was the same - I wanted to option to have three kids (and I'm not comfortable with the risks that come with three c/s). 

FWIW, my VBAC baby was just over 10.5 lbs. I went into labor around 41.5-42 weeks with him, so he was pretty late. I refused sizing u/s w him, but not bc I thought he was going to be large. My first son (via c/s) was normal size.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imageSpoilmeposh:

Having had two vaginal births and one C-Section I would LOVE the opportunity to try for VBAC.  They don't offer at the hospital I am giving birth.  I did tell my OB that if I go into labor on my own I will stay home and come to the hospital pushing! 

This is why blanket VBAC bans make NO SENSE. You are a great candidate for a VBAC - can you switch hospitals? I would just put off a RCS until I went into labor, good plan. 

Sorry to hijack your thread, OP!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imagenosoup4u:
    imageSpoilmeposh:

This is why blanket VBAC bans make NO SENSE. You are a great candidate for a VBAC - can you switch hospitals? I would just put off a RCS until I went into labor, good plan. 

If I switch hospitals I would have to switch doctors and I have had the same doctor since I was 16.  I have been going back and forth on it and have become kind of obsessed with having a VBAC.  I know I can do it and it makes me so irritated that some hospital's rules say I can't!  I have an appointment tomorrow and I want to ask my doctor about putting off the c-section and how he feels about it.  I just pray for once I go into labor before 40 weeks! 

• Options
    imagenosoup4u:

imageLeanneOfHonour:

I also plan on having a big family, (3-4 kids), and sometimes around these parts, they won't allow you to have that many repeat C's.  :/ 

Because you want to have more kids, I would personally plan a VBAC. One of my big reasons for choosing VBAC was the same - I wanted to option to have three kids (and I'm not comfortable with the risks that come with three c/s). 

FWIW, my VBAC baby was just over 10.5 lbs. I went into labor around 41.5-42 weeks with him, so he was pretty late. I refused sizing u/s w him, but not bc I thought he was going to be large. My first son (via c/s) was normal size.

I was "partially induced" (foley bulb inserted, that got me to 3cm, then I progressed to 5.5 on my own....in 15 hours, baby went into distress, emerg c-section), this was all 8 days post EDD.  I am 5'10 and hubby is 6'3, so yeah, quite tall.   

Pregnancy Ticker
    Anniversary

• Options
    imagenosoup4u:

imageLeanneOfHonour:

100% agree with this! 

PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options
    imageSpoilmeposh:
    imagenosoup4u:
    imageSpoilmeposh:

If I switch hospitals I would have to switch doctors and I have had the same doctor since I was 16.  I have been going back and forth on it and have become kind of obsessed with having a VBAC.  I know I can do it and it makes me so irritated that some hospital's rules say I can't!  I have an appointment tomorrow and I want to ask my doctor about putting off the c-section and how he feels about it.  I just pray for once I go into labor before 40 weeks! 

I switched hospitals and providers to have a VBAC. My original midwives really wanted me to VBAC also and knew the hospital wouldn't allow it so they referred me to the midwife and hospital that delivered my VBAC. I'd consider it if your current hospital has a ban especially if you are thinking 4 children. You can always go back to your current doctor for regular GYN visits.

Otherwise, talk to your doctor about what happens if you go to the hospital and refuse surgery. They cannot FORCE you to have a c/s and actually they can't officially ban vaginal births. I am sure they have had VBACs deliver (those who show up pushing). If you MUST deliver with that doctor and that hospital and your doctor is supportive, see if you can find a loophole. Sorry they are making it so difficult for you!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"