Blended Families
Options

NBFR - pro choice policies reduce # of abortions vs pro life

Ok, hot topic I know.  I'm not trying to start any major debates here or be a drama troll.  I wanted to share an interesting article that I thought was well researched.  Comment if you want to but, again, this is really for informational purposes.  Let's all be grown up and not flame each other for having different views.

I am personally pro-choice.  Who would have thought that being so may actually prevent abortions.  Very interesting.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2012/10/how-i-lost-faith-in-the-pro-life-movement.html

Re: NBFR - pro choice policies reduce # of abortions vs pro life

• Options
    Very interesting. I read most of it and very much agree even though I never thought of most of it. I grew up prolife and even went to a right to life march in DC with my friend and her Church when we were 13 but am definitely pro choice now. Not pro abortion but pro choice.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    Ehhh I'm surprised people are naive enough to think if you ban something no one will do it...

On the other hand I don't really think education and contraceptive use is the key. I think that is extremely simplistic.

I guess I think everyone should stop talking about abortion and start working on the systemic ish that ultimately causes abortion like unemployment, lack of a living wage, unobtainable healthcare, financially exploitative child care costs...

Once we fix all that then we can weigh in with our moral superiority on whether or not abortion is "right."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageLittlejen22:
    Very interesting. I read most of it and very much agree even though I never thought of most of it. I grew up prolife and even went to a right to life march in DC with my friend and her Church when we were 13 but am definitely pro choice now. Not pro abortion but pro choice.

This is how I grew up as well and I also never considered most of the points in her article.  That is why I thought it was so interesting.  It really does make you go hmmm. 

• Options

imageNineoceans:
    Ehhh I'm surprised people are naive enough to think if you ban something no one will do it... On the other hand I don't really think education and contraceptive use is the key. I think that is extremely simplistic. I guess I think everyone should stop talking about abortion and start working on the systemic ish that ultimately causes abortion like unemployment, lack of a living wage, unobtainable healthcare, financially exploitative child care costs... Once we fix all that then we can weigh in with our moral superiority on whether or not abortion is "right."

I agree with this too and do think the article did a good job of talking about how unobtainable healthcare, financially exploitative child care costs, the lack of contraception and the expense of pregnancy actually contribute to the abortion rate.  As far as morally, that is where I am pro-choice.  To each their own to decide such things.     

• Options
    MrsHKMrsHK member
    I like it because it points out some things I've tried to say before. DH and I identify with the two labels. One prochoice, one prolife. But if you talk to us you'll see that our views are pretty much the same. There's a lot of middle ground where we share the same goal and the same beliefs. Yet typically we are forced to pick one little box to fit in. Life isn't like that.
    Proverbs 12:10 "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals ChipMonkey 3/19/08 *** Turtle 1/26/10 *** CarBear 10/06/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"