Working Moms

Does your nanny get paid during your vacations?

We hired a nanny in May. We pay her a flat rate for the most part.  Except if she goes over a certain number of hours we pay her more and if she takes a day or half day off, we'd deduct that from her salary.  She was going to just be with us for the summer so we didn't plan how to deal with our own vacations - I'm on probation still at my job and only get a few days of personal time for the summer. We still should have discussed it, but whoops we didn't.  So we have to talk about finally this week since we'll be on vacation this Friday.  Also, we decided to keep her past this summer so this has become more important of an issue (since we'll probably travel for 1 week in December and a bit here and there at other times.)

My question is - Do people tend to pay their nanny for days when they are on vacation? I know she doesn't expect to get paid for holiday days like Memorial day. She said something to the effect of "I don't get paid holidays." I don't want to skimp though.  So if your nanny is not working a day because of YOUR planned vacation, do you pay her?  I just want to know what she'll expect before I have the conversation.  Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Does your nanny get paid during your vacations?

• SoMoNYSoMoNY member

If she is off because we are off, yes she gets paid.  This includes holidays and vacation time - hit her fault my job is closed or that I decided to hit Ocean City for 10 days kwim?

If she needs to be off for some reason then generally she doesn't get paid. 

Editing to add she also gets 5 personal days, we don't do more than that because she also gets paid during our 6-7 weeks of vacation time

• It depends on if she takes it as her paid time off as well.

For instance we give our nanny two weeks of PTO. She tries to schedule it around our vacations, but sometimes she does not and will take it as unpaid time off. We are going away next Tuesday and Wednesday but she has already used all of her PTO this year because of family events that required her to travel. So she is taking it unpaid. We also pay her holidays though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • While we don't technically have a nanny, we do pay our babysitter when we are on vacation or other times when it isn't really her fault she's not watching our children.  Just last month  my in-laws were in town for two weeks and were with the kids a ton but we still paid our sitter.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Sounds like a good consensus on this one.  I have this feeling she'll try to say no need to pay her, but I plan on insisting based on what I've heard here. Thanks.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We pay our nanny by the hour (all cash under the table). We only pay her for the hours that she works, whether that be because she decides to take a vacation, or if we decided to take a vacation.

But that is what we agreed upon when we first hired her (and was also the arrangement she had with the family before us).

• Yes, you should pay her without a doubt. And most families I know also give a week of paid vacation too.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • xcjumpxcjump member
    We pay our in home daycare when we go on vacation but not when she takes vacation.  

• Yes.  We pay her for Holidays, as well as days we take off.  She will get paid for July 4th, as well as the 5th since we are going out of town. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemichaelaskedlauren:

We pay our nanny by the hour (all cash under the table).

Assuming your nanny is not family, and you're paying over 1800/yr or 1000/quarter, you know you are responsible for taxes, right?

https://www.nannytaxprep.com/Main+Site+FAQs/Am+I+required+to+pay+nanny+taxes#faq32

https://www.nannytaxprep.com/Main+Site+FAQs/Can+the+IRS+catch+me+if+I+havent+paid+nanny+taxes#faq37

laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagerockychryslerb2010:
    imagemichaelaskedlauren:

Assuming your nanny is not family, and you're paying over 1800/yr or 1000/quarter, you know you are responsible for taxes, right?

https://www.nannytaxprep.com/Main+Site+FAQs/Am+I+required+to+pay+nanny+taxes#faq32

https://www.nannytaxprep.com/Main+Site+FAQs/Can+the+IRS+catch+me+if+I+havent+paid+nanny+taxes#faq37

Since she used the phrase "under the table"... yes, I think she knows :)

• imageIblamethebeer:
    imagerockychryslerb2010:
    imagemichaelaskedlauren:

Since she used the phrase "under the table"... yes, I think she knows :)

Really bad idea.  I hope you never get audited. Indifferent  Just sayin'...

• If it is because of OUR vacation, then we pay her. 

We pay our nanny for anytime that she does not work because of our choice--i.e. holiday, our vacation, etc.  We usually pay her major holidays that we are off, too. For this year, this will probably amount to about three weeks of paid time off which I think is fair considering she is part-time. We do this not because we are required to under a contract or agreement, but because she is a good employee, we like her and want to keep her around. 

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"