Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Starting solids for a 5 month old.

Thinking about starting LO on solids...he turns 5 months old tomorrow.  Can you share with me what you 5 month old is eating these days and how much.  TIA!

Re: Starting solids for a 5 month old.

• My son is 6 months tomorrow and up to 2-3tbsp twice a day, but when he was 5 months old he was eating 1tbsp once a day.

I skipped grains completely. To date he has had peas, apples, banana, carrots, avocado, green beans, figs, and sweet potatoes. Peas were his first food because that's what I had around the house. I've done both purees and small chunks. While out and about once I gave him a piece of lettuce to chew on at a restaurant because my salad didn't have any baby friendly foods in it (olives... too salty, tomatoes... too acidy until a little older, onions... nope, and pepperchinis...uh, no). My MIL brought over the figs so I did a quick Google search and determined that they are a fine early food, but have a sometimes disagreeable texture so I pureed them extra well and DS liked them.

There's a few good resources online to help you determine what foods are ok at what ages. I've seen a couple links shared around the boards, but I can't remember them at the moment. I am just kinda winging it... within reason. If a food is handy and is cleared as ok by a quick search online I give it a try. Now that DS is going to be 6 months I plan to introduce meats and yogurt in the next couple weeks.

• DS is 5 mos. He has 2 ice cubes or a couple oz of milk with cereal once a day. He's had bananas, sweet potatoes, apples, barley, oatmeal, and pears. Tomorrow we will do butternut squash. I think green beans will follow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD turns 5 months tomorrow and we just started Rice Cereal this morning.   We just fed her a few spoonfuls until she lost interest.  We'll keep trying small amounts each day.
  • My 5 month old is eating breastmilk and formula. The benefits of delaying solids until 6+ months make more sense to me. But, if you're going to start solids at 5 months, avocado is a good starter. I have read recently that "they" recommend skipping rice cereal. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've tried bananas, sweet potato and avocado. She doesn't eat much, she still spits a lot out. Maybe a tablespoon or two?
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagedande2129:
    My 5 month old is eating breastmilk and formula. The benefits of delaying solids until 6+ months make more sense to me. But, if you're going to start solids at 5 months, avocado is a good starter. I have read recently that "they" recommend skipping rice cereal. 

i agree with all of this and don't plan to introduce solids until 6 months/I will not feed cereal. 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"