Washington Babies

Getting started. Help, please :-)

My husband and I recently moved to the Maple Valley area. We bought our first home, so the next step is to start a family. Does anyone have recommendations on who to go to for a obgyn? What would be the best hospital to deliver in? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's a little worrisome that there doesn't appear to be many choices :-(

Thanks everyone! 

Re: Getting started. Help, please :-)

• First thing is first, you should check who your insurance covers. 

Next, decide what type of birthing experience you would like then research those physicians that are covered to see if any click with you.

After that, see what hospitals those who you like deliver at. See if you like what those hospitals/locations have to offer and if they meet your needs or wishes.

Then make some calls and see if you can do a meet and greet type visit.

I don't know where you are looking but there are many, many options it just depends on what you want. You also need to consider if you would like a Midwife vs an OB and if so, would you prefer a birthing center to a hospital or a Midwife at a hospital. Once you start to figure out what your wish list is you can move forward with making all of the decisions.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pretty much everyone I know that has gotten pregnant has gone to Swedish so I don't have any observations about any other hospital. But I gotta say that Swedish has been wonderful for me. They have several campuses, the one in Issaquah might be closest to you, it's the newest one I think, and where I took my birthing classes. It's also nice that they have free and easy to find parking, Swedish in Seattle campuses have terrible parking options which can be tough and annoying once you're going to your regular OB appointments.
  • Loading the player...
  • I live in SE Kent, but had my girl at Group Health on Capitol Hill since I have GH insurance.  I also work on Capitol Hill, so it made it really easy to get to my midwife appts.  I had a wonderful experience there!  A friend of mine was stunned that I was delivering so far away but to be honest, I was in so much pain once labor started that it really didn't matter where I was.  Stupid back labor!  I would agree with the PP who suggested finding out what is covered by your insurance and what type of birth you're hoping to have.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Any suggestions about the NorthWest hospital?
  • My obgyn is at the Issaquah Women's Clinic and I'll be delivering at Swedish-Issaquah.  I have heard so many wonderful things about it and my sister delivered there as well. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"