August 2013 Moms
Options

Serious reflux help...

The acid reflux started about 3-4 weeks ago at night.  I started taking Zantac 75 and it took care of it...for about a week.  Then I upped to 150, which helped, again for about a week.  Now I'm taking 150 twice a day and Tums to spot treat but it still seems to be a problem, and it's now starting to bother me during the day.  I sleep (or attempt to do so) sitting up, which means I'm not sleeping well at all and stop eating/drinking anything but water after 7 pm, which means I wake up starving at like 2 am!  My OB appointment isn't until Friday but last time I brought it up the only advice she gave me was everything I've already done.  Anyone found anything else that helps?  I'm getting desperate!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Serious reflux help...

• Options
    I have been having serious reflux issues as well. I wake up almost gagging on bile in my mouth. The on told me Tums as often as needed, mylanta twice a day and Previcid. I still have a lot of heartburn but the reflux is better!
  • Options
    Earth mama angel babies Heartburn tea helps me, but mine isn't so bad that I need Zantac.
    image image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the same problem! I started taking Pepcid once a day and that has helped. It was almost like I built up an immunity to Zantac
  • Options

Prilosec every night, right before bed has been my savior, along with Maalox advanced extra strength when it "flares up" every now and then.  I'd have to take at least 4 tums to even touch my heartburn, and still that just made it bearable.  My problem is occasionally I'll feel better and forget the prilosec for a day... HUGE mistake!  I don't like to take meds often, but there is nothing I can do about this.  GL I hope you find something that helps.

P.S- with the prilosec I can eat/drink normally, I have to eat before bed or my blood sugar drops too low at night and I get sick, so hopefully that will help your starving at 2am.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    aw isn't it the worst! Mine is usually at night, but the bigger baby gets the more it has started happening in the daytime too. I usually try to go with natural remedies and as counter intuitive as it may *seem* my best fix is unfiltered apple cider vinegar (the cloudy kind- has "the mother" protein in it). Its the right ph to balance your stomach acids and though it makes it worse for literally 3 seconds, it always fixes it for me. I usually put a little  in a shot glass (1/4-1/2 full) and down it, followed by a glass of water. Hope this helps!

https://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/acid_reflux.html

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I tried Zantac and like you, it worked for a week. My OB had me try Pepcid next.  That worked for about a week as well.  I finally got a RX for Protonix and I haven't had an issue since! 

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • Options
    Prilosec did the trick for me. Before bed. Tums to treat it when it flares up. My favorite Tums are the fruit smoothie ones. They are awesome! And I despise the regular ones.
    AmyBeth BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks all! I have tried multiple zantacs 75 throughout the day and its not working. I just got back from getting some Prilosec. We'll give that a go and see if it helps.

• Options
    If you are taking over the counter meds several times a day and still having serious issues (I'd classify only being able to sleep sitting up as serious!), then you'll probably need to move onto daily medication that provide more coverage. If Prilosec doesn't work, there are prescription PPIs that are safe to take while pregnant like Protonix. If your OB is out of ideas, don't hesitate to get an opinion from a GI. To them, reflux issues are like treating the common cold - their bread and butter!
    Hawaii
  • Options
    Gaviscon worked for me while the others you mentioned did not. Best of luck. It's not fun at all!

• Options
    skip the water after 7 and drink milk. I drank a bottled water near bed the other night and had such bad heartburn I wanted to cry. I agree with PPs though, sounds like its time for a prescription.

• Options

This sounds awful. It started happening to me too, 75 worked great for a few weeks, and then ... well, you know! I've totally cut out carbonated beverages, and I do take Tums on top of the Zantac.

Also, pickles work for me for a quick fix.

BFP 8/12/12 m/c 8/19/12 BFP 12/1/12 EDD 8/11/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Prilosec works for me. It does take a few days to kick in though.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    You have to wait about an hour from taking a Zantac and taking a Tums. If you take Tums right after a Zantac, you'll mess w the effectiveness of the Zantac.

It's brutal, I'm sorry. I'd also not eat or drink late, sleep sitting up, etc. try not to snack but eat a full meal which will help to weigh acid down. Also try not to drink liquids on an empty stomach either.

Good news is that it goes away within days of giving birth.

• Options
    AcojenAcojen member
    I haven't ever posted on this board but I lurk a lot and thought I would share my experience. I was having this issue really bad as well to the point of waking up with bile coming out my nose which was awful. Nothing OTC was helping me and my doctor finally prescribed Nexium. That stuff has been magic in a bottle for me. I can eat and drink completely normally and have felt so much better overall. Good luck on finding something that works I know how miserable it can be. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm stacking Pepcid once every 24 hours and then 4 tums as needed. And that doesn't even work sometimes. But dr said that's pretty much all I can do.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Best of luck with the Prilosec. Reflux is just awful... 

I find that when I get *hungry* I tend to reflux more too, so perhaps contrary to some other advice, consider eating a small amount of something that isn't a classic trigger [ie. avoid tomatoes, citrus, mint, chocolate, and garlic]. It sounds like you've been through a lot trying to squash these symptoms ... hang in there!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"