January 2014 Moms
Options

Question on measuring ahead

I had an ultrasound on Friday, and I should have been measuring 12w0d, but instead I measured 12w2d. Does that change my due date? Or does it just mean that baby is big, or growing more quickly than typical right now?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question on measuring ahead

• Options
    It typically just means baby is a little big. I believe the standard is plus or minus 3 days is considered within a normal range.
  • Options
    No, it is still within normal range. My doctor won't change due date unless it was at least a week or more off. My baby has been measuring 5 days ahead but they won't change the due date. Will know whether the baby is ready to be born a bit early or not as we get closer to January!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

And tbh, the measurements are often off.  I was told I was measuring two weeks ahead at my 30 week u/s last time.  Then I had an u/s at 37 weeks, 3 days and she said our son was already 8 lbs.  I went into labor the next day and he was 6 lbs 8 oz.  

Don't get too thrown off by their predictions.

Yay for a healthy baby!! 

BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Agree with others.  Had an u/s on thurs - I was 11w4d and tech said I was measuring 12w exactly.  When I asked if that changed my due date she said no - that the measurements are +/- 6 day.  I think it's all a little confusing.
    Me: 37 DH: 37 TTC since Jan 2012. RE consult and initial testing done in Aug 2012: SA fine, AMH 1.1 & HSG clear - on way to IUI but got BFP on 9/10/2012. m/c 10/3/2012 at 6w5d. BFP next cycle which was a c/p. IUI #1: Clomid 100mg 12/6= BFN. IUI#2 (unmedicated) Jan 2013 = BFN. Hysteroscopy 1/25/13. IUI#3 Clomid 100mg 2/23 = BFN IUI# 4: BFN. IVF #1 April 2013, BFP!  EDD 1/12/14 with Boy!
  • Options
    Go ahead and give yourself the 12w2days, it won't matter when you are at the end what your exact due date was. It's just a guess date and if the closer one makes you feel better, I'd go with that one; ) I went crazy about "THE DATE" last time (I'm type A crazy person) but in the end he came 3 weeks early anyway.
  • Options
    It depends on your OB.  Since ovulation is sometimes "early" or "late", going by LMP isn't always the most accurate.  With DS I measured 5 days behind my LMP so that new date (based on u/s) became my EDD.  With this pregnancy, I measured 2 days behind my LMP.  When I asked my OB if that made my EDD January 8 instead of January 6, she said I could pick lol (I'm sure because it doesn't REALLY make a difference).  So I went with the later EDD because I want to give myself a couple extra days before they start talking induction in case I go past my due date.
    DS1 born 3/27/12 DS2 due 1/8/14
  • Options
    I was measuring differently, but if you had an earlier scan, I had a 6w6d one, they said they go off the earlier one, as it is usually more accurate.
  • Options
    My OB actually goes by +/- 10 days is normal. Babies go through growth spurts which could account for measuring slightly ahead.  It could also be the tech that did it, could have measured more generously.  You could go in tomorrow and measure a few days behind.  No worries!

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options
    My midwife has always gone by +/- 7 days... Around the second tri they usually say that u/s to measure dating are always iffy because babies start to grow at different rates around then. All babies are different and 2 days really isn't out of the normal range for growth... Now if baby was measuring 13 and a half or so weeks then that may be different. Don't worry, no matter what your DD, baby will come when baby is ready :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

imagehannahyejee:
    No, it is still within normal range. My doctor won't change due date unless it was at least a week or more off. My baby has been measuring 5 days ahead but they won't change the due date. Will know whether the baby is ready to be born a bit early or not as we get closer to January!

Wow this is me exactly :)  Last u/s we were 5 days ahead, but OB is still sticking to 01/01 due date so far for us. :)

Not all babies develop at the same rate, so it is completely normal to be measuring ahead at one u/s & possible a day or 2 behind at another. EDD's are never science anyway. You will be considered "on time" if you give birth within 2 weeks before or within 2 weeks after your EDD.

My 2 December boys

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"