Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

advice please?

My boyfriends daughter is Now living with us since her Mom is a alcoholic and cant Take care of her so we took her from her until She is better. She is 3 years old and my son is 18 months, Its her half brother... They just dont get along anymore, She will not share with him and if She sees he has a toy of hers She will freak out and start hitting or kicking him. Its sad to me because i want them to get along, and Now She just doesnt want him around her at all... I dont know What to do :

Re: advice please?

• Honestly, they're kids. It's what they do. Even full siblings that come from "perfect" homes do this. It's the age. They're both old enough to "know better" but still to young to fully get it.

Just mediate as necessary, teach the skills and be patient.

And cut the 3 year old some slack while being firm. There's a lot going on in her life now change wise and she's probably just reacting to it.

• imagedairygirl19:

Honestly, they're kids. It's what they do. Even full siblings that come from "perfect" homes do this. It's the age. They're both old enough to "know better" but still to young to fully get it.

Just mediate as necessary, teach the skills and be patient.

And cut the 3 year old some slack while being firm. There's a lot going on in her life now change wise and she's probably just reacting to it.

This.  3 y/os don't quite fully understand the concept of sharing.  You just have to continue reinforcing it.  Plus, like what pp said, all the changes she's going through is rough.  I'm sure her recent homelife was chaotic and it's hard for her to realize that it's possible to live in a calm environment.  She may also be acting the way it's acceptable with her mom.  She may have to be retrained and most of that is on your BF.  Give your BF and his DD time together so they can adjust and work things out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"