Outgrowing Prefold Absorbency — The Bump
Cloth Diapering

Outgrowing Prefold Absorbency

Stupid question how do you know if your LO has outgrown the absorbency of your prefolds? I get with pockets and AIOs you're likely to get leakage; will prefolds leak out of the cover? My LO is only a hair over 2 weeks, so I'm not worried about this yet, but it crossed my mind the other day.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 Since July 2012-BFP Sept 27, EDD June 9, 2013, Arrived June 14, 2013
My blog-The Wino That I Know

Re: Outgrowing Prefold Absorbency

• I guess if they're super soaked every time you change them?  I don't know that it would leak out the cover... or at least it never has for us.  DD outgrew her newborn prefolds around the 8 week mark - they were just getting too hard to snappi.  She's almost 7 months old now and is still wearing the yellow edge infant size.  Sometimes they're soaked when we change (typically every 2 hours, sometimes a bit sooner), but not always.  I'm guessing we'll use them until she outgrows them due to size - and even then, we can just trifold and put them in the cover.  At this point, I don't know that we'll even buy the next size prefolds...
  • Wish82Wish82
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Love Its
    Ok-that makes sense. I hear people say on here their baby outgrew the absorbency in their newborn diapers, and I wasn't understanding how that worked with Prefolds, which is primarily what we are using. I wasn't taking other styles into consideration. Thanks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 Since July 2012-BFP Sept 27, EDD June 9, 2013, Arrived June 14, 2013
    My blog-The Wino That I Know
  • Ds is about 4 months. He just recently started rolling to his tummy. When I got him up from a nap, he had been sleeping on his tummy and the front half of the prefold was soaked and leaked but the back of the prefold was dry. When I put him to bed for the night, I Boingoed a prefold around him and the trifolded one in the cover. Caught dh off guard when he went to chage ds this morning....but his clothes were dry.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards