June 2013 Moms

Raw and bleeding booty

My poor baby has a raw bum that is now bleeding and I don't know what to do. It's not the actual anus but the cheeks around it that are solid red and now so raw that they are bleeding. I feel so bad for him I could cry. I'm stopping the use of wipes and have been keeping Boudreaux's Butt Paste on it but not sure exactly why it got this bad and how to help him. He has at least 78 dirty diapers a day and is very gassy. So much so that basically every time he farts, it is wet and we have to change a dirty diaper. Would this be considered diarrhea? I'm not sure how to tell with an infant as I thought all their dirty diapers were supposed to be quite runny...?? He is 2 weeks old tomorrow. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA!!!

Re: Raw and bleeding booty

• Is your LO breasfed? If so it's totally normal to feel like their constantly pooping and for it to be super runny. My LO poops every single time he nurses and is constantly farting and occasionally pooping in between feedings as well

As for the raw bum my LO had that at about a week and we were using butt paste on it but it wasn't getting better. When it started bleeding we called the ped and they said to use aquaphor, Vaseline, or A and D ointment instead of the butt paste
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Lurking from August...

Poor baby!!! Do you do much diaper free time? I remember with DS I would let him lie on washable waterproof pads during tummy time, which we started ASAP, just so his bum could get some air. It seemed to help prevent a lot of diaper rash issues and help treat.

I never had good luck with the butt paste. DS never got diaper rash often, he got more yeast rashes, which you treat differently, but if diaper rash really settled in I had to use A and D or Desitin.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Loading the player...
  • imagemedschoolwife:
    Is your LO breasfed? If so it's totally normal to feel like their constantly pooping and for it to be super runny. My LO poops every single time he nurses and is constantly farting and occasionally pooping in between feedings as well

As for the raw bum my LO had that at about a week and we were using butt paste on it but it wasn't getting better. When it started bleeding we called the ped and they said to use aquaphor, Vaseline, or A and D ointment instead of the butt paste

Thanks for your response! He is breast fed and we supplement as well bc my supply is low. I have been wondering whether the formula could be the culprit of his gas pains, or if that was normal...

I have some A and D, so I will try that instead of the paste. Also going to try airing it out. Thanks again!
  • flkongflkong member

Awww his poor bum. It sounds like diarrhea and I agree with not using wipes, just water on a dry disposable towel. I do believe that diaper rash ointment shouldn't be used if the skin is broken. IMO and experience, balmex works better than the butt paste, A&D ointment and desitin. 

I would diligently change his diapers, even more than you did before. I'd let his bum get plenty of air with each diaper change. In fact, let him lay with the diaper open as long as possible. Air speeds the healing process. Try balmex, but not on any area of broken skin. I hope this helps.

• imageBlueJewelM:
    Lurking from August...

Poor baby!!! Do you do much diaper free time? I remember with DS I would let him lie on washable waterproof pads during tummy time, which we started ASAP, just so his bum could get some air. It seemed to help prevent a lot of diaper rash issues and help treat.

I never had good luck with the butt paste. DS never got diaper rash often, he got more yeast rashes, which you treat differently, but if diaper rash really settled in I had to use A and D or Desitin.

Thanks for your response! We don't do diaper free time but I am definitely up for it considering this situation. So far, the baby has not liked tummy time whatsoever and I haven't really been consistent since he still has his umbilical stump. Wasn't sure if I should wait until that falls of before doing tummy time. Will def try the A and D as I have a tube on hand. If not then will get some Desitin. Thanks again!
  • The formula could be making him gassy or he could be swallowing a lot of air when nursing or taking a bottle. My son pulls off a lot while nursing and ends up sucking in a lot of air which I think contributes to his gassiness. But, you might consider using a sensitive stomach formula just to see if that's the culprit as well
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagefklang:
    Awww his poor bum. It sounds like diarrhea and I agree with not using wipes, just water on a dry disposable towel. I do believe that diaper rash ointment shouldn't be used if the skin is broken. IMO and experience, balmex works better than the butt paste, Aamp;D ointment and desitin.nbsp;I would diligently change his diapers, even more than you did before. I'd let his bum get plenty of air with each diaper change. In fact, let him lay with the diaper open as long as possible. Air speeds the healing process. Try balmex, but not on any area of broken skin. I hope this helps.

Yes this helps! Thank you!!
  • flkongflkong member

imagebabymillersmommy:
    imagemedschoolwife:
    Is your LO breasfed? If so it's totally normal to feel like their constantly pooping and for it to be super runny. My LO poops every single time he nurses and is constantly farting and occasionally pooping in between feedings as well As for the raw bum my LO had that at about a week and we were using butt paste on it but it wasn't getting better. When it started bleeding we called the ped and they said to use aquaphor, Vaseline, or A and D ointment instead of the butt paste
    Thanks for your response! He is breast fed and we supplement as well bc my supply is low. I have been wondering whether the formula could be the culprit of his gas pains, or if that was normal... I have some A and D, so I will try that instead of the paste. Also going to try airing it out. Thanks again!

The A&D is better than the butt paste too. But air him for lengthy periods without the A&D. Apply the A&D just before you close his diaper.  

• Could it be yeast? My little one had a quick onset rash and it was yeast. The pedi prescribed nystatin and it was gone within 3 days.

• Are you using Pampers diapers, by chance? Some babies react quite badly to Pampers in particular. We cloth diaper, but when we traveled with my daughter when she was young, we tried Pampers and her bum had the same response. We switched to Huggies and it cleared up.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• My lo got a diaper rash like that in the nicu and had it for weeks. They tried everything and even let it air out a ton. Once he got home we started using aquaphor and it cleared right up.
  • imagekari.sandall:
    My lo got a diaper rash like that in the nicu and had it for weeks. They tried everything and even let it air out a ton. Once he got home we started using aquaphor and it cleared right up.

I'm having this problem too - it's not bleeding but there are rubbed raw areas...did you put aquaphor on those spots if you had them? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagehandsonthewheel:
    Are you using Pampers diapers, by chance? Some babies react quite badly to Pampers in particular. We cloth diaper, but when we traveled with my daughter when she was young, we tried Pampers and her bum had the same response. We switched to Huggies and it cleared up.  

As a matter of fact, we are using pampers... Maybe I will break open a pkg of another brand and see if that helps... Thanks!
  • imagehandsonthewheel:
    Are you using Pampers diapers, by chance? Some babies react quite badly to Pampers in particular. We cloth diaper, but when we traveled with my daughter when she was young, we tried Pampers and her bum had the same response. We switched to Huggies and it cleared up.  

As a matter of fact, we are using pampers... Maybe I will break open a pkg of another brand and see if that helps... Thanks!
  • imagehandsonthewheel:

• imagebabymillersmommy:
    imagehandsonthewheel:

I forgot about the Pampers Rash! Definitely try a different brand to see if that helps. I have heard Luvs also can cause the same rash.

Otherwise, I agree with the air exposure, A and D and no wipes that everyone else has said!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"