June 2013 Moms
Options

Shower after baby is born

So my MIL is throwing a shower for us next month.  I had a shower in April and received very many things.  We had also purchased everything on our own that we would need before the baby came.  When she came to see the baby she asked what else we needed so she could relay the information.  I don't really need anything because we got it all before we gave birth.  What we really need is diapers and wipes.  She now asked that we create a new registry for her guests, so they would have more items to choose from.  I'm a little annoyed because I already have a ton of baby stuff and I really don't want to fill my house with stuff that I really don't want or need.  I know I should be thankful and I am, but it would have been more beneficial to have this before the baby is born.  So I will stop the venting and ask for opinions.  What else would you ask for?  What would you want and didn't receive??  I'm having a hard time picking things out..

Shark Attack!!

photo IMG_20130912_203149_226_zpsa547059c.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Shower after baby is born

• Options
    That's tough...I'd really want to ask for diapers and wipes because that's all we need right now too and there isn't room for stuff we don't really need! Maybe you could ask them to buy clothes for older ages that you don't really have yet? I have plenty of clothes up to 6 months but then it really drops off. People love buying clothes anyway. Or monetary gifts for a savings or college fund for baby? Not sure...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Could it be a diaper party instead? Or maybe ask for things a toddler would use... Baby dishes, sippy cups, toys, larger clothes, etc...?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a diaper shower from work. I won't need to buy diapers for several months! But if that isn't a possibility, maybe you could register for clothes or like PP said things for toddlers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Diapers, wipes, and older clothes 9months like others have mentioned. Maybe you could ask for some toys for when LO is older that maybe would be more of a special occasion purchase? Gift cards and education fund sounded like good ideas too. Could also start a small book collection if you don't have one going.
  • Options
    I have never heard of a party like this. I personally would decline even having it because it sounds likes big gift grab but that's just me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with others--I would insist she make it a 'meet the baby' party and only suggest diapers and wipes if anyone asks what you might need. A shower after the baby is here is a bit tacky. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    imagemajwv8:
    Hmm.. I would feel uncomfortable with this shower. Are these ppl that weren't invited to your previous shower? Otherwise it sounds gift grabby. I guess you could call it a diaper.meet the baby party.
    Agree. This would make me very uncomfortable. I'd try explaining to your MIL.

• Options
    AchaeAchae member
    imageilovemarfa:
    I have never heard of a party like this. I personally would decline even having it because it sounds likes big gift grab but that's just me.

This. How awkward.
  • Options
    Diapers, wipes, clothes in bigger sizes that you can have handy for when LO grows, books. We had a sip and see with DS and we got a lot of larger clothing. It was great to have it ready to go as LO grew.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options
    I know if my MIL had an idea like this, there would be no way for me to talk her out of it without having her upset with us for the next 5 years, so I am guessing the "tell her not to have the party" advice isn't that helpful.  I think I would definitely register for packs of diapers and wipes.  I might use it as a chance to build up my LO's library and ask for books (people like to buy their kid's favorite book).  Also the toddler gear sounds like a great idea too - I have NO bowls, spoons, sippy cups, or anything like that and those are going to really add up when we start to need them.  Good luck and just try to enjoy that there are so many people who love you and want to celebrate with you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would think about things that you might need for the next stage in the baby's life.  Larger toddler towels, waterproof large bibs with pockets, toys, books, convertible car seats, etc.  Add these items along with a bunch of diapers in all different sizes and wipes. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageilovemarfa:
    This. Miss Manners would not approve of this party. Make it a sip-n-see ( no gifts) & be done with it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"