Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

grocery shopping

My DD is always so good when we go out to stores or to a restaurant.  She is so sweet and laid back!  However, tonight while I was grocery shopping I met a whole new baby.I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that we were at the store at 6:00 PM and she's usually in bed by 7:30 so maybe I went out to close to bedtime?! Although she was strapped into the seat, she is very tall and lean for her age and was able to reach food items that were at the bottom of the carriage/ shopping cart.  She kept throwing my groceries out of the cart  After bruising all my apples, cracking my red bell peppers, and dropping an opened bag of goldfish crackers on the floor, I was in total shock!  Now that I am home, it is kind of funny!  Has this happened to anyone else?  Any strategies for next time?  

Re: grocery shopping

• We have the same routine every time we go to the store. I make my list in advance in order by aisles or as close as I can by memory of the store I have never let him walk the store so he doesn't even know that's an option. I say, " ok next we have to get oranges, can you help me find those!" Then I let him toss everything in the cart. Unless its glass or something. Get through quickly and give him a snack while we wait in line. My DD was so crazy we had to stop grocery store trips and restaurants for about a year seriously. Until she grew out of it. DS is the mellow one so hopefully we won't have to do that again.
  • Part of the time of day and part because of the age. I switched to shopping at a grocery store that has cozy coupes attached to the carts to help keep LO occupied. Even when she is buckled in she pulls items off of the shelf and opens boxes etc. I found bringing a snack cup helps, as does letting LO get a piece of cheese from the deli counter if the cozy coupes are occupied. 

P.S to make you feel better LO drank 3 cups of water at lunch on the way to BJ's...we went in for diapers and wipes- no more than 15 minutes. Well in the '8 items or less line' LO goes "PEEEEEE" which usually means she has to poop since she confuses the two. Well nope! Not this time. The flood gates opened and she soaked through her diaper and make about a 2 foot wide puddle on the floor. I looked at the cashier and said 'i'd like to return that diaper please it leaked'. First time i let my kid get naked in a store...i just started peeling her clothes off and let people go around me while i cleaned up the spill. 

• Loading the player...
  • Yes except my LO was in the stroller. He was pulling things from the shelves and even managed to grab a candy bar during out checkout line. I think he just gets bored.
  • I'm sorry I have no strategies for you, but I feel your pain. DS does this everytime we go to the grocery store and I've just decided that I will not take him anymore. He is so well behaved anywhere else, but it's just like he thinks this is one big game for him. For me it doesn't matter what time of day it is. My only advice would be to grocery shop without her if possible because that is what I now do.

After 4 years, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs our surprise miracle is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

TTC # 2 BFP 03/02/13 = CP, BFP 05/14/13 = CP, BFP 08/09/13 = CP

RPL testing = normal

TI Cycle #1, 50 clomid days 3-7, 150 iu Follistim days 8-11 = BFP! EDD May 22, 2014

Betas: 13 DPO = 79, 15 DPO = 149, 19 DPO = 788, 22 DPO = 2031

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"