Multiples

multiples

Today i had a very sharp shooting pain in the pelvic area to where i could barely walk. I went to the ER and they did two ultrasounds. When i got done i found out im only 5 weeks we thought 8. Also, they said they thought we were having twins because they saw two sacs in ultrasound.

Has anyone ever had a pain like that. And does anyone know if detecting twins this early comes out to be true or what...
any advice would be wonderful.

Re: multiples

• While I didn't have the pain you experienced, we had an early ultrasound to determine our due date since my cycles had been irregular since my daughter's birth. We found out that we were 6 weeks along, instead of our guessed 9 weeks, and surprise surprise, that we were having twins who are now due in less than three weeks. It's unusual to find out that early, but it is accurate if they see the two babies and yolk sacs...it's pretty obvious. The main reason it's rare to find out in the first month or two is that most people don't have ultrasounds that early.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • About two weeks.
    and according to my last pd. I thought I was 8 weeks and without ultrasound they were saying 11 weeks then when I had ultrasound done they said I was only measuring 5 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have had several early US because of a difficult IVF cycle and just the other day we found out its twins! I'm just six weeks now, but it was very clearly two.
  • That is so reassuring. Thank you.
    when they did my ultrasound they measured me at only 4.5 weeks. We thought closer to 68. But when they did the ultrasound they only saw two sacs. But no visible fetus. Is this something I should worry about or is this normal. I was told that you can't detect a fetus this early?Also that twins are smaller so may affect how far along I am BC of that.
    also my hcg levels they said were high for 4.5 weeks. So more possibility of it being twins.

any insight on this?
  • SV917SV917 member

If you are only 4.5 weeks, you won't be able to see much of anything. I found out I was having twins at 5w2d; there wasn't much to see besides the two gestational sacs. If they see two gestational sacs, you have twins; that means a heck of a lot more than a high hcg number. Of course, it's early, so that could change. Not to scare you, but vanishing twin is a possibility. Even at 6 weeks, my doctor said we should wait a while before announcing twins. Twins are generally smaller because they are born earlier. At 4 weeks, they are so tiny anyway, the fact that they are twins is not going to cause them to be smaller. Mine have always measured on track and at 22 weeks, they are measuring at the same sizes a singleton at 22 weeks would measure. Unfortunately, you will just have to wait and see what happens.  Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Were they able to detect heartbeats yet? Or are they having you come back for another blood draw to test your hcg levels and make sure they're increasing at the right rate? I don't want to worry you, but it seems odd to me that you got a BFP a couple weeks ago and the babies are only now measuring 4.5 weeks. If you saw heartbeats though, it sounds like all is good! Good luck and congratulations!

ETA: I saw from your later response that they only saw sacs at this point. I would make sure you have a follow up ultrasound in about a week and a half, when you're at 6 weeks, to confirm heartbeats, or if possible, ask to have another blood draw two or three days after your ER trip to confirm doubling hcg levels. Unfortunately, there's just no way to know what's going on until an ultrasound around 6 weeks, when you should be able to see heartbeats. Best of luck to you!

Edited again to add that the embryos' sizes this early on are in no way influenced by the fact they're twins, and that one hcg reading alone means nothing... What matters is the rate at which that hcg level rises. One reading alone doesn't tell you if it's increasing, decreasing, or increasing at the right rate.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No heartbeats. They said its too early to see that at 4.5 weeks. They don't want to do another blood test but they do want to see my at 6 weeks. Only BC there is nothing they can do whether I am increasing or decreasing so it really wouldn't matter. Well a week from Friday I found out June 20th that I was pregnant and the 29th so a week later I found out I'm only about 5 weeks. So really makes sense there. But, my hcg was 3,670 at 4.5 weeks so they said that was high for 4 5 weeks. So I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.

I also look like I did when I was 34 mths pregnant with my first daughter. Is that normal?
  • imagecolegirl00:
    No heartbeats. They said its too early to see that at 4.5 weeks. They don't want to do another blood test but they do want to see my at 6 weeks. Only BC there is nothing they can do whether I am increasing or decreasing so it really wouldn't matter. Well a week from Friday I found out June 20th that I was pregnant and the 29th so a week later I found out I'm only about 5 weeks. So really makes sense there. But, my hcg was 3,670 at 4.5 weeks so they said that was high for 4 5 weeks. So I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.

I also look like I did when I was 34 mths pregnant with my first daughter. Is that normal?

Well, that sounds promising! I thought you were saying you got a BFP a few weeks ago. I'm not sure the early bloating means that the pg is viable, just that you have hcg in your body, which you already know you do. Good luck at your 6 week ultrasound!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"