May 2012 Moms

Brushing teeth??

What do you mommas do to brush your toddlers teeth?

We've been giving our ds the toothbrush so he can get use to it and we will take over but he won't let us do it long enough to get a good brush. I'm afraid he's going to get cavities on his lil baby teeth.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Brushing teeth??

• I bought the little orajel toothpaste kit that comes with the scrubber that goes on my finger. I just use that. So far, so good. I am curious to hear what everyone else is doing, because I just sort of guessed about what to do!
  • imageBuckeyeNut05:
    I bought the little orajel toothpaste kit that comes with the scrubber that goes on my finger. I just use that. So far, so good. I am curious to hear what everyone else is doing, because I just sort of guessed about what to do!

This is what I am doing.  I did this with my DD as well until she started biting my finger!  Then I switched to a toddler toothbrush.  I took her to the dentist when she was two so she would become comfortable and start getting regular check-ups early on.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • We have 2 brushes. I give her one to hold and chomp on while I brush with the other.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We started with the toothbrush that goes on your finger, but when she started biting me I moved on to the toddler brush.  We just use water and do the best we can on any given night.  I also have two toothbrushes so she can hold one and I can actually brush with the other.  It only becomes an issue when she's also trying to brush and we have two in there at once!  The dentist said to start bringing her in to our check ups just before her third birthday, to get her used to it, and then start getting her own appts at three, unless we or the pedi sees a problem before then.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• We used to use the little finger brush but moved on to the regular toddler brush because I just felt like the finger brush wasn't doing as good of a job. We brush his teeth with water twice a day and do the best we can. Sometimes he doesn't want to cooperate and we just do what we can bu most of the time he enjoys having his teeth brushed!

Both Our pedi and dentist recommended having a checkup at a year old. I still have yet to make an appointment, I keep forgetting!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • DrRxDrRx member
    I bought a training toothpaste that is safe if she swallows it.  We brush her teeth every night before bed (after her last sippy of milk or snack or whatever).  She's a big fan of the toothbrush. 
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • ebl2ebl2 member
    LO loves chomping on her toothbrush as well. Every night, after bath, I let her brush her own teeth while I dry her and put lotion on her. After that I try to take over, sometimes she lets me other times she doesn't but at least she somewhat brushed them herself. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

image   image

• Lately I brush my teeth at my sink and DH holds LO while he sits at DH's sink and we let LO brush his own teeth, if he isn't really doing it, DH will get in a few scrubs.  I used to try to give him multiple toothbrushes and do it in bed but he'd end up taking all 3 :-P
  • fryratfryrat member
    We use a toddler brush, no paste, and we go in the bathroom, I brush first, then I give it to her and tell her, "like momma" and she goes all around her gums. After that, I'll let her chew on it for a minute, but we really try to get her to brush. She's doing well, even reaching to rinse when she's all done.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we use this...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"