Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Milk alternatives.

Our DS WILL NOT drink cows milk for anything.  Any time we try to give it to him, he just spits it out and throws his cup on the floor.  He is still BF right now but I'm not sure what to do when we stop that.  He drinks water just fine and we've tried coconut milk, which he drinks just fine.  What do you use for milk alternatives?

P.S. DS isn't allergic to milk, he just doesn't drink it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Milk alternatives.

• Options
    LO drinks enriched vanilla rice milk because she can't handle full dairy right now.  She loves it :).

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    We've tried almond & coconut milk.  DD won't drink them either.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try bordens sliced cheese. 2 slices is 800 mg of calcium which meets the requirement for toddlers. Also try blending cows milk with your LO favorite fruit to disguise the taste. GL!
  • Options

Goats milk is the most similar to breastmilk nutrient-wise. So that's what we have here =) 

You can also try rice, almond, soy, coconut. Or none at all. The only reason toddlers are supposed to drink so much milk is because it's a cheap and readily available source of calcium =) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

What is your aim?  Are you trying to push the milk as a fat source?  A protein source?   A calcium source?  If so, coconut milk can take care of fat/calcium (assuming a fortified coconut milk).  All of those nutrients can be found in other foods - dairy is not a nutritional requirement, whether it's fluid milk, yogurt, cheese or some other variety.

I'm casein intolerant, so at home, we have almond milk, or the newer almond/coconut blends, or occasionally coconut milk.  DD has cow-based yogurt and cheese she can have if she wants (which she does on average every other day or so), and I have goat yogurt and cheese (which I can tolerate in small quantities) that she also likes.

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a friend who gives her 2 and 3 year olds vanilla flavored almond milk, and they love it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"