High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Scared to have a 3rd...GD related

Hi all!  I am so on the fence about having a 3rd baby.  I have had diet controlled GD with my first two children and my glucose test 6 weeks PP was borderline.  I need some advice.  Would you let the greater chance of having type 2 diabetes deter you from having another child?  I also thought I'd give myself 6 months to a year to lose some extra weight and talk with my OB at my next annual physical.  Thoughts? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Scared to have a 3rd...GD related

• Options
    I am having my third baby with GD and do not have Type II. I am already at risk due to family history, so it would not be enough to stop me from having a third if that is what i wanted. IMO, if you already have the potential to develop Type II in the future and you have aleady had GD twice, how much more of a risk are you expecting? If you are concerned, I think losing weight first is always best, because even 10 lbs can reduce your risk as much as 10%.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If you are borderline PP, I'm pretty sure that would remain regardless. I do not think that having GD during pregnancy will push you over, so to speak. As time goes on, your body might go over anyway and you may be dx'd as pre-diabetic or even Type 2.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember in researching that GD does not cause non-pregnancy diabetes, but just means you are more likely within 10 years to be diagnosed- whether or not you have had children. It is more of an indicator (or sometimes solely related to pregnancy) than a trigger.

I was undiagnosed Type 2 before having DD. As long as you work with your team of doctors and stay healthy, I don't see a reason not to have another child if you wanted to.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"