Pregnant after 35

Questions

Hi ladies, I hope you don't mind, but I am 33 and will be 34 this August.  I want another child and will more than likely be 35-36 before it will happen, mainly because of time off at work.

What will I be in for having a baby when I'm older?  I know there's more tests and stuff but are the risks higher too?  I could talk to my OB/GYN but I'd rather ask the people who are going through it and have been through it.  You're the pros! :)

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

Re: Questions

• I am 36 today and pregnant with number two. I can tell you this time around it took me much longer to get pregnant almost two years. I had to have IVF. Also I am considered high rick pregnancy since my age, so I have to have certain tests. I do not mind, if they are blood. I wont do CVS or amnio. Also being pregnant this time I find it much harder and I am a lot sicker and poped sooner. I am more tired and having a two year old girl is hard on a pregnant lady. My DD is a lot of work. She is in full blast in the TTs. Full of drama. 

Best of luck  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am 35, and am pregnant with identical twin boys. I have a 13 year old daughter. I feel really good, in fact better than I did at 20 being pregnant. Could be my situation has changed, and I have grown up a bit. I go in every few weeks for ultrasounds. For the last month of my pregnancy, I will be going in TWICE a week. They monitor pretty closely due to my age and the fact they are identical twins.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm 39, overweight, have fibroids and Hashimotos hypothyroidism. I had a miscarriage a year ago pribably due to my out of whack thyroid.

I'm now due in a month, and other than having severe morning sickness, everything has been great. I'm checked more closely for all my thyroid levels, but my doctor and his partners have the attitude of "it's a normal pregnancy until we have reason to think otherwise." I did opt to have my anatomy scan with a MFM, but everything else has been "normal."

ETA: it took me three months, three cycles to get pregnant both times.
    TTC since Feb 2012. Me: 39, DH: 37
    BFP #1 5/27/12- m/c 7/9/12 @ 10w2d (cytotec induced @11w).
    Fibroids, Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism
    BFP #2 11/18/12  EDD 7/27/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It's a bit hard to sum up, as I'm a FTM myself.  I can say that it took a while to get pregnant, and there's more risk of it not "sticking" (I miscarried last year's pregnancy). 

Physically, this one's been about as easy as they seem to get, but I do have fibroids now that I didn't have before, and the doctors want to keep checking on them. 

You'll probably find that your doctors are more cautious about things like tests and such - I ended up transferring to a midwife group because my OB's partners kept giving off vibes like they thought I was going to spontaneously combust or something if they didn't do All The Tests and they talked more than I was comfortable with about how they'd be intensively monitoring me towards the end (regardless of how well the pregnancy was going otherwise).

Personally, egg issues possibly aside, I think how your body handles it has much more to do with your overall health and genetics than one's age.

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    March 24bimageimageimage
  • Thanks for your answers.  As you can see by my siggy I have a 6 month old daughter, it took me 6 years for her, multiple miscarriages, weight issues and other health problems.

I had some issues with her but only towards the end, high BP and retaining fluid were the big ones.  I guess I've just heard that a baby after 35 is dangerous to your health and the baby has a greater rish of having some type of disability, etc..I was nervous but wanted to ask. 

Thanks again!  You all helped me think more about this and calmed a lot of my fears!

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• I really don't have anything to go by other than my ob telling me I'm old! Hah, she is my age.
    My three pregnancies have all been over the age of 36. I will be 40 when ds is due. I have had fairly easy pregnancies with all three. They are pretty cautious and I did have a little high bp with first two. I had a few more ultrasounds than normal but have had very healthy children so far.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"