Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Is a swing REALLY necessary right away?

DH and I were incredibly blessed to be gifted a lot of our big ticket needs from friends and family at our showers and are now going through our registry to see what we should be buying before baby gets here. We have all the basics (crib, changing table/dresser, travel system, monitor, etc.), but we know we have other things to get and want to limit it to just what is necessary immediately after baby is born (as in, in the first few weeks) for cost.

I have heard conflicting stories on swings - some say they're a luxury that is not wholly necessary  and others say their newborns were napping in them in the first week and they are a lifesaver. I know all babies are different, but just looking for some various opinions. 

The swing we would like to buy is $122 at BRU and if the consensus seems to be we should have it for baby's arrival in roughly 6 weeks, we will buy it while we are using our registry completion coupon this month. If not, we'll just wait or maybe skip it all together. The only other device we have to let the baby sleep in besides crib and PNP is a vibrating bouncer. No rock'n play or anything like that yet. 

I'll also take any other recommendations on other "ers" (bouncers, rockers, etc.) that I might not know about. TIA!

image"">imageimageimage"">image"

Re: Is a swing REALLY necessary right away?

• Options
    It was necessary for us. Dd HATED the bouncer. You could buy it and keep it in the box until you know. I recommend one that plugs in. I spent over 100 bucks on batteries for ours. We also loved our RNP but dd used it for overnight sleeping more than naps.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    klyannklyann member
    If you can borrow one or get one on consignment that would be ideal.  They really only use it for 3 months, 4 max.  For us it was a lifesaver, others aren't big fans.  D hated the bouncer.  But make sure it plugs in too!

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    There's no solid answer to this question. Some babies love the swing, some don't. DS was never really a fan, but he was in the bouncy seat all.the.time (though, not for the first few weeks). I'd say, you should think about getting *something* to put them in whether it be a swing or bouncer, but it doesn't have to be both.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options
    It was necessary for us, but not all babies love the swing. I had to EP and it was the only place that I could put the baby and get the pumping done.
  • Options

We bought the My Little Snugabunny when DS was less than two weeks old and it was worth every penny - he napped in it and for a few nights before transitioning to the crib, he slept in it. He used it every day until he was six months old and the motor died. Fisher Price sent us a new motor, but we packed everything away for a future baby.

I agree that if you can find one in good condition or borrow one that may be ideal in case baby doesn't like it - then you're not out quite so much money.

• Options
    We could not have lived without ours.  Both girls loved it and slept better in it. I agree with PP that you could buy the swing and keep the receipt.  I believe with many registries you have an extended time to take things back??
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else. It's hit or miss. My daughter had bad stomach issues and literally slept in the swing until 10 months cause nothing else worked. She hated the bouncer. I have friends whose kids hate the swing love the bouncer. I would get a second hand one or buy it new and keep in box. My dd still doesn't sleep well. I wish my crib could swing lol. 

Hypothyroid/Fibroids/Stage 4 Endometriosis

10/2010 Open myomectomy to remove 3 fibroids largest @ 8 inches. Stage 4 endometriosis and inoperable/blocked left tube.

3/2011 Laporoscopy/Hysteroscopy. 3 endometrioma cysts, hydrosalpinx, left tube and half of the left ovary removed.

5/2011 IUI #1 medicated w/injections, 1 follie = BFP!

6/2011 Blighted Ovum/ D&C

9/2011 IUI #2 medicated w/injections, 2 follies = BFP!

• Options

imageMrsJetSet:
    It was necessary for us. Dd HATED the bouncer. You could buy it and keep it in the box until you know. I recommend one that plugs in. I spent over 100 bucks on batteries for ours. We also loved our RNP but dd used it for overnight sleeping more than naps.

All of this (except we had the Snuggabunny swing that plugged in so there was no battery cost-- it was well worth the money!). 

• Options
    We used ours basically from day 1. We got the Bright Starts Ingenuity Portable one from Amazon and it was like $65. It gets used a few hours a day, he's almost 4 months old, and we're on the same set of batteries we started with.
    Married 6/08, TTC 7/09
    MC w/ D&C 3/11 ~ 9.5 weeks
    CP/MC 1/12 ~ 5 weeks
    2 IUI's w/ BFN
    IVF 6/12 ~ 8R, 0F ~ Rescue ISCI gave us 3dt of 2 (6 cell, 9+ cell)
    DS born ~ 3/3/13
    IVF 6/14 ~ Operation Sibling ~ 10R, 5F ~ 5dt of 1 Blast
    Beta 1: 1600+, Beta 2: 4588
    Everyone Welcome!
    image image
    Pregnancy Ticker image

• Options
    Like the other ladies have said its hard to tell really till the babies here if he or she is going to like the swing. For us it has been a must have . Our oldest hated with a passion the bouncy seat but liked the swing. She only used it for about six months but since we got it second hand it wasn't that bad. With our second we were gifted a new swing and it was a lifesaver. She slept in that swing for the first five months of her life and drove the thing into the ground she loved the thing so much. Our third child loved the swing as well. This time around we purchased a swing for 99 and are using it for our little one for awhile to sleep in since we don't co sleep . We did get a rock and play with our third and it was great . I'd check out and see of you can find something at a consignment store or go for a cheeper model just make sure it plus in .
  • Options
    DD LOVED her swing and it saved me those first 6 months.  They are not used for very long. I bought mine used off craigslist ($60 versus $180)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"