Pregnant after 35

Verifi test

I am 40 and pregnant with #2. Apparently, a lot has changed since I had my son in 2010. In addition to the usual first trimester screening processes (which I definitely wanted to do), I'm being offered the Verifi test, which wasn't available when I was pregnant with my son. I'm not sure what planet I've been on, but I had not yet heard of this test. When my midwife described it to me and after reading up on it, I am simultaneously motivated to get it done (for some reassurance if the outcome is good) but scared to death of it due to the fact that it actually tests fetal DNA and gives a yes/no versus a chances-of outcome. I had never even entertained having this knowledge so early in my pregnancy. 

I realize this is a very personal decision, but I am wondering how many of you have had this test and did you find it helpful? Did you encounter any problems or uncertainty with the outcome (I've heard reports of inconclusive results being reported, etc.). Thanks in advance for any input. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons.  

Re: Verifi test

• I had the Harmony test....same test, different lab. It was a great peace of mind when we got our results showing negative for all 3 trisomies. We would have had to pay extra to learn the sex, so we waited. I had no issues with our samples. But sometimes there isn't enough fetal DNA in the sample which is why they will draw 2 vials, saving 1 as a backup. Even then, some have to repeat the blood draw occasionally.
    Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Chart
  • I had MaterniT21 done with my first and it came back all negative for trisomies. We lost him at 18 weeks, but it had nothing to do with chromosomal issues. 

I had Harmony done this time and now in addition to trisomies, they test for sex chromosome issues (i.e. fragile x). They can also tell you the sex which is a nice perk!

Have it done at 11 weeks or later, that will help ensure you don't get an inconclusive result. They need to find enough of baby's DNA in your blood to get a good result.

There's not a lot of cons - we actually skipped the NT scan because it only gives you odds and I knew my odds would be crappy because of my age. There's no risk to the baby because it's just a sample of your blood. I guess the only reason to skip it is if you would never terminate anyway and you feel you don't want to know about any issues until after the baby is born.  

**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Loading the player...
  • Hi! I am 38 and had the Verifi test done. We wanted to know for sure. Ours came back fine, so it gave us peace of mind. However if it had come back with any issues we wanted to be able to weigh our options and at the very least be prepared. Having had a nefew with a major cleft palate I just remember how devistated my brother and his wife were in the delivery room. Then it was a scramble to find support networks and surgeons etc. (He has since had several surgeries and is doing great.) The way we looked at it was at least if we knew we could be prepared for that. Plus we could know and plan for things we might need - support, different services, care etc. Not by any means telling you what to do or how to look at it, but that was my reasoning.  BTW our OB did the Verifi test and still did an NT scan but they said that since the Verifi test was results were good, the NT was really just a formaility, but at least we got to see the baby. Best of luck!
  • I had my Harmony blood draw on Monday. I'll be 36 when this baby is born, but the tests weren't available when I was pregnant with my 17 month old, much less when I was pregnant with our 11 year old! My doctor's office didn't even know about it. The genetic counselor at the MFM is the one who mentioned it.

• It is important to remember that there are false positives and false negatives with the Verifi test. If you have a positive result, your medical team should follow up with additional testing. The free cell DNA tests test for ratios of different types of cell fragments. The test can mistake variations in your own cell lines for fetal DNA cell fragments. The percent of false-positives in the general population is actually higher than that which is presented by the companies that own Verifi and Harmony, because the clinical trials they ran for FDA approval included more women with risks for abnormal fetuses than is true of the general population. Still the Verify and Harmony tests are more accurate than other non-invasive tests, such as the 2nd trimester combined screening and the NT scan.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Bugs02Bugs02 member
    I'm having the Harmony test at my 12 week appointment. I'll be 40 when I deliver so knowing the statistics I just really want to be prepared.
  • I had the Verifi test--my doc said that she found the technology amazing and that it would tell all of the necessary genetic information that I needed, but was "expensive." As a 1st time mom @40, I was overjoyed to find out that there would be no charge (my insurance covered it) and that I would not need an amniocentesis, which could damage the baby or cause a miscarriage. 

We were fortunate to find out that our baby tested negative for Downs, Turners, and all of the other genetic issues that the test included. The doc could have ordered results for the gender, too, but said that her office didn't do this for ethical reasons, unless needed. We live in a culturally rich area outside of DC, so I assume they are worried about certain cultures who would abort if the baby were female. How sad.

• These tests were all just approved by the FDA last summer (as I understand) so they are very new and not many people have heard of them yet.  We had the Verifi (just the test my doctor's office offered) and had great peace of mind when the results came back as negative for any chromosomal or sex related issues.  We could have found out the sex from that, but are waiting to be surprised.  My OB suggested not doing any of the other tests b/c this has much more conclusive results, rather than guessing.  I am 41 so the concerns were real and while I don't know that it would have changed anything, at least we had the information to prepare ourselves if we going to have a child with special needs.  I highly recommend it.  Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"