Georgia Babies
Options

2nd baby and C-section

I have a GF that is expecting her second at the end of Sept.  Her first will have just turned two.  Of course after a c-section you can't lift anything so what do you do with your first?  They obviously can't get in the car seat or in their bed by themselves.  What did you do?
TIA,
Laura

photos by Jody Lynn Photography

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 2nd baby and C-section

• Options

Ooh, that's a tough one. Mine will be almost 5 when I have this c-section, so I haven't really had to think about stuff like that.

For the car and bedtime, could she get a folding step stool? Depending on the child, at 2 they should be able to step-up using mom as a guide. At least she won't have to bear the full weight of the child then.

• Options

I was totally in this situation last year when T arrived.  MJD had just turned 2 the month prior.  I probably over did it, but I would say after about 2-3 weeks, I started lifting MJD into his bed and carseat.  But at first would just tell him that Mommy couldn't because she had a 'boo boo', which he understood and DH just completely had to do everything.  My 2nd c-section recovery too seemed a bit harder than the first at least I had more pain. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I remember very little clearly about the first year of Isaac's life but somehow I managed.  Since I couldn't drive myself for two weeks anyway I am pretty sure whoever was driving me got P in her car seat.
  • Options
    I definitely overdid it and my recovery was way worse the second time. My advice is to stay in the hospital as long as they allow and line up plenty of extra helpers for the first 23 weeks. Luckily Gavin was in daycare during the day not sure what SAHMs do!

• Options
    imageslwprincess:
    I definitely overdid it and my recovery was way worse the second time. My advice is to stay in the hospital as long as they allow and line up plenty of extra helpers for the first 23 weeks. Luckily Gavin was in daycare during the day not sure what SAHMs do!

2 to 3 weeks. Stupid iPhone

• Options

imageslwprincess:
    imageslwprincess:
    2 to 3 weeks. Stupid iPhone

Polly went to daycare for 8 weeks since technically I was on STD before I decided not to go back to work.  That was an absolute Godsend.  Two year olds are too busy to understand that Mommy needs a break.

• Options
    I started teaching and letting my almost 2 year old to do things.  Yes it took more time but in the end it helped me recover faster.  Have him try to climb up in the car seat and all she has to do is give a little push than lifting.  Also step stools for the almost 2 year old really helps.  getting on the couch, chairs, etc. Also have her teach him to sit beside her instead of on her lap because the pain of the 2 year touch the incision is awful!
  • Options
    My c/s recoveries got easier with each one and I only had help the first 1 1/2 weeks after each. Those weeks I let someone else get baby into/out of the car or I just left the infant seat in the car and carried baby inside. The crib I didn't have to worry about b/c we transitioned each kid out of the crib before the next one came. We taught each one to go up/down the steps themselves as well so that was one less thing I had to do. After the first 2wks I started picking the other kids up. Just bending down to them and using my legs to pick them up. I did it sparely at first and just did it carefully. You do what you have to do to get by really. 
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    when my doc told me I would need a c-section because P was breach and I had previa I started teaching L to climb into her car seat.  I'm sure you could get a little step stool and practice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"