Nurseries and Baby Gear

Reading Nook

I am considering converting the closet in the baby room to a reading nook, and just getting a nice dresser for clothes. It is more important that my child be surrounded by books than fancy clothes!

I think if we have a girl, the dresses could still hang to one side in the closet or something... and by the time she is old enough for the dresses to be really long, she'll be too big for the reading nook anyway. I have five brothers, and none of them ever used the closet for anything but toys until they were teenagers. Ha ha ha.

There are already built in shelves down the right side. There is a "futon shelf" at the top, which could either be removed, used for storage, or possibly even used as a type of loft to play in (it's QUITE strong). I don't think I would mess with adding in wired lights, but we have solar camping lanterns that would be safe and fun.

Thoughts? Anyone else considering going without a closet? 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Reading Nook

• It would be quite a while before baby could use a reading nook.  We have a bookshelf in the girls room with a rocking chair next to it.  I read the books to the girls and DD1 will frequently go in there and sit in rocking chair and read books.  DD2 is content to sit on the floor and read books.  I love our closet.  I store all their bedding, dresses , blankets etc in there.  I like them to not be able to get in there and take everything out of there daily.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I definitely need my closet space to hide boxes of diapers,wipes, baby gear and all sorts of overflow.  I've seen lots of cute reading nooks with tents, IKEA shelves, PBK chairs, etc that create a sense of space and enclosure without sacrificing much floor space. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you, ladies, for commenting! You've given me some things to consider. :)

FTM -- gotta ask, right? lol 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • With the lack of storage space in our house in general, the closet will remain the closet, however in the corner where my rocker/glider/recliner will be doing, I'm going to be putting book slings on the wall. That way, books are within easy reach, and when the rocker/glider/recliner is ready to go away, I can turn it into more of a nook (or keep the chair, and have a second baby. LOL)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"