August 2011 Moms
Options

I killed a cat

I feel horrible.

It happened yesterday, on my way home from daycare. I was going slow, but poor little thing literally threw itself under my wheels. There was no way I could avoid it. So I just pulled over, got out of the car, and watched it thrash around as it tried to cling to life. I will spare you the details, but it was obvious there was no way anyone could save that cat. So I just watched and cried and waited and hoped it would stop suffering soon.

And then right across the street from me was a little boy sobbing in his mother's arms. He had seen me kill his cat.

I went over to at least apologize, but I just felt so guilty and helpless. The little boy's mom told me she saw it happen and that I wasn't to blame, but still, that doesn't change what happened now, does it.

When I got back in the car, DD1 asked me why we hit that cat. And then if the cat was in heaven (yes). And she cried. She spent most of the evening crying, asking me why we hit that cat, if it was dead, if it was in heaven... And DD2 kept repeating "hiddacat?" (hit that cat).

I don't think I've ever felt so awful in my entire life.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: I killed a cat

• Options
    Aw! Poor kitty! Accidents happen, don't beat yourself up.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry! That's awful, but it's not your fault. You did the right thing apologizing. I had a cat hit by a car and the people just drove off. At least he knows it was an accident and you were so sorry.
        Super Hero 8/12/11     Baby Girl EDD 10/16/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry I giggled at "hiddacat".

That sucks that that happened. Maybe you could checknout the SPCA and adopt a kitten for the little guy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    S-TunaS-Tuna member
    :( I'm sorry. Try not to hold onto the guilt for too long. It was an accident. 
  • Options

Thanks guys. It's just so much, you know? There's hitting that poor kitty, seeing it suffer before it died, watching the sorrow on the little boy's face (and his mom's, too)...

And TandB, I thought about getting him another kitty, but then decided against it. It's not just a toy that I broke and that I can buy at the store. A live being cannot be replaced with another one, you know? Plus if it happened to my kid, I'm not sure I'd want to get another pet? I did ask the mom if there was anything I could do, even though I knew there wasn't.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I am so sorry. You did the right thing by stopping and talking to the mom. That must have been really hard.
  • Options
    Oh no! Talk about kiddie guilt! But it sounds like you did everything you could and you can know that you gave your children an example of respect and compassion in a bad situation.
  • Options
    I'm sorry. That is hard for everyone involved. At least you stopped and said sorry. The sorry doesn't seem like much now but when the initial shock has passed and the boy replays the series of events in his head it will mean so much to him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh how awful! I'm so sorry. I hope you're able to make it okay with your girls somehow and get the image out of your own head. I know my own brain would replay it over and over, so I can't imagine how you feel.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"