Pregnant after 35

Rapid heart beat

I am 18w and experiencing a rapid heart rate when I just do a little activity.  I also find myself out of breath.  I talk to my doctor and she said something about extra blood running through me.  It just makes me nervous bc it's so strong that it makes me jerk side to side.  Anyone else experiencing these symptoms?

Re: Rapid heart beat

• Pregnancy can do some weird things to our bodies - no advice on the rapid heartbeat but wanted to send some support your way.  Listen to your gut on these things - if you have a feeling that its not a typical symptom then go see your regular doctor for a 2nd opinion.

I'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes your way! 

• I went to the cardiologist bc I had the same symptoms and my OB recommended it. Turns out it was all the extra blood plus my heart murmur from when I was a child came back. Nothing to worry about, just annoying.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for your comments and the support.
  • My heart sometimes feels like it's working extra hard and it's a really freaky feeling. I kind of figured during these times maybe the baby was going through a growth spurt. It is a scary feeling but my dr also said it's normal. I'm not going to worry unless I suddenly feel something is really wrong. Hopefully we can sense if something just isn't right.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • I also asked my OB about rapid heart rate, because I did not know how high a heart rate is normal during pregnancy. She said that heart rate of 90-110 beats per minute is normal even in the healthiest of pregnant women. At 18W, you are still increasing your blood volume. This can be a big strain on your body. I assume your doctor has also checked your blood count and counseled you about iron levels. 

Of course, you should follow you own doctor's advice, but my OB said to just do what physical activity I can and to take it easy when I need to. I don't know what your baseline physical fitness level is, but you may want to cut out hills/inclines/stairs a bit and stick to walking on flatter surfaces. 

For some women, energy levels can actually increase a bit when the total blood volume is reached and the body is more acclimated to the additional blood volume. I have been out of breath less often at 25+ weeks than I was at 16-20W.

Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When I lie in bed, especially on my left side the entire bed shakes with my heart beat and I swear I can feel it breathing against my chest wall!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"