Pregnant after IF

issues with AO and PCOS, I just want to know there is hope.

I am 23 and have been diagnosed with anovulation and PCOS. I have an amazing doctor that I have only found in April and he got me on Provera which makes me have a period and in turn ovulate. I love this doctor he is really amazing. I do not have a actual RE because I was seeing one who kind of made me hate myself and with my insurance I can only see her or another woman in her office who is equally evil. Both told me I was to fat and would never have children, didn't test me, or anything just told me no so I have an amazing dr now that will do anything had has in a 40 year career only have three women that he was unable to get pregnant within a year of doing everything he says and only 1 out of those three still can not have children. Everyone has been asking me about an HCG test and no I haven?t had one because it is not covered by my insurance, but hopefully in the next three months my appeal will be over and I can have the test done. My husband and I have been trying for a baby for 2 years because I knew I had problems. We have had two miscarriages, one at 13 and one at 16 weeks. I would like to talk to some women who have the same issue and have a baby as a success story. Last week I started taking Metformin and hopefully in a week I will start Clomid. Anyone know about these personally? I goggled and found a lot of success stories but no one with anovulation. I haven't read anything helpful. I think I am just going crazy now. I thought I knew what I was doing until I started asking for advice or help here and now I just feel lost and like I have no clue what wanting a baby means. I have driven everyone around me crazy with baby talk and I have so much faith that I will be pregnant soon after Clomid, and I know its dangerous I just don't want to try for another 2 years I don't think I can take it.

Re: issues with AO and PCOS, I just want to know there is hope.

• I do not have personal experience, but a very good friend of mine seems very similar to you. She was not ovulating on her own and had PCOS. She did go to an RE, anf got pregnant through clomid and an IUI. She was heavily monitored and had GD, but her heathly baby boy is here today. She had to eat gluten free and take a type of insulin and monitor her blood pressure, and I know it was not easy for her, but she did and the pay off is worth it! Don't give up...I think it can happen. :)

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Hello! I had to deal with anovulation and PCOS. Long story short, I tried two rounds of Clomid, three of Femara, and three rounds of injectables, Menopur, all with no response. I was planning on trying IUI with those and so when the doctor decided to amp up my meds and add Follistim, I ended up over responding and we had to either cancel the IUI or go with IVF. We opted to convert to IVF and got 23 eggs at ER, 15 fertilized and we transferred two. They didnt take and we ended up doing a FET a few months later and I am now 24 weeks pregnant with a little girl. Do not give up hope! I figure if they can get me to ovulate, they should be able to get anyone to! It was a long, emotional road, but there are a lot of options. I really loved my RE and it's good to hear you like yours too.

Good luck, hang in there! Pcos isn't the death sentence some seem to think it is!
  • Loading the player...
  • if you are in fact ovulating you shouldn't need clomid.   Metformin also often kicks into gear ovulation as well,so maybe give that a chance for a few months?  also HIGHLY recommend doing a low GI diet,  i got pregnant naturally with my first by doing that.  second i had to do IVF, but that ended up being more egg quality issues, since i was late 30's.

• Mine is probably not the inspirational story that you are looking for.  I was diagnosed with anovulatory PCOS when I was 18.   Was put on the bcp and didn't think about it again until we wanted to TTC.  After stopping the pill, I never ovulated.  I was put on metformin to help with my insulin-resistance in the hopes that it would lessen the severity of my PCOS symptoms.  I tried several rounds/strengths of clomid and femara before moving on to injectables/IUI.  I did not respond properly to the injectable stims (no response to one, over response to another), and I ended up having a cancelled cycle.  We decided to move right into IVF at that point.  our first IVF attempt was cancelled due to low response.  Our second attempt was successful, and I'm now almost 10.5 weeks pregnant. 

Anovulation is not a fertility death sentence, but, unfortunately, it may end up being a long road to success.  Every person is different in how they respond to meds, so try not to compare yourself to others (whether their stories are negative or positive).

And just a couple other things... Provera does not force ovulation.  It causes a withdrawal bleed to shed an old lining.  Unless you are now getting a period without the provera, chances are that you are still not ovulating.  And, unfortunately, it can be pretty common place for an RE to refuse testing/treatment if you are over a certain BMI.  It's proven that there's less success with most fertility treatments if you are not in a healthy weight range (and a much higher incidence of miscarriage if the treatments are successful).  A lot of clinics are concerned with their success rates, so won't take on patients if they don't expect treatments to end successfully.

Im sorry that you're dealing with this.  IF is a hard road to travel. 

dx with anovulatory PCOS 2005
    off bcp 11/11
    a few rounds of clomid and femara... no response.
    injectables/IUI 12/12... BFN
    Feb 13 IVF cycle converted down to IUI due to low follicle response... BFFN
    one last IVF attempt April/May 2013: 19 retrieved. 10 fertilized. 2 transferred in a 3dt. 4 frosties... BFP!!
    EDD: 1/21/14... Induced early at 36+6. Our little girl was born 12/30/13

surprise pregnancy with baby #2!  EDD: 8/30/16

• I have PCOS and rarely ovulated without assistance.  I am also a plus sized gal.  I was able to ovulate on my first round of clomid and it resulted in a pregnancy.  Sadly, it was ectopic.  

Tried other rounds of clomid then moved on to injectables a with IUI.    Ultimately my success came with IVF.  I am now 19w along.

Don't be discouraged.  I encourage you to seek out another RE, if possible.  They are not all cold to women who are on the heavier side.   

Good luck. 

Can't figure out the signature thing, so here's the short, short version.....first daughter born on November 10, 2013. She was conceived through the magic of IVF after 2+ years of TTC.
  • I'm sorry for your losses. I hope you got some answers about why they happened. I had a loss at 18 weeks and after a bunch of failed fertility treatments am here and pregnant again and hopefully this is my take-home baby.

I have a good friend who got pregnant with twins on clomid, after being diagnosed with unexplained infertility. 

I'm glad you have a supportive doctor, good luck! 

**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"