3rd Trimester
Options

baby laundry

Hello ladies,

I was wondering if any non-FTM's or FTM's who have already had their babies had any advice about laundry. We don't have and technically aren't allowed to have a washer and dryer in our apartment so I'm concerned about our babies laundry. As I'm preparing for our baby (I'm 36 weeks) I'm not sure how good I feel about using a laundromat. As a FTM I may be over-thinking it, so ladies please let me know what you have done. Do you know of any laundry services, or do you just go to the laundromat? Please help! lol Thanks.

Re: baby laundry

• Options

I'm not sure about the laundromat - but would you be able to get a mini washing machine that just hooks up to your sink faucet?  Then you could just air dry the babies laundry after its done washing?

• Options
    Go where ever you need to wash the baby's clothes, it doesn't matter if it's at a Laundromat. Not sure why that would be a big deal.

Bison (FCS) beats Big 12 Champs Kansas St (24-21)!!!
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What's the issue with a laundromat?  You are WASHING with soap and hot water.  That's pretty clean.  Or you can shell out a ton of $$ for someone else to wash your baby's clothes in what is also, essentially, a laundromat....
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagelbethke99:
    Go where ever you need to wash the baby's clothes, it doesn't matter if it's at a Laundromat. Not sure why that would be a big deal.

This. You gotta do what you gotta do. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    You should be fine using the laundry mat. You are way overthinking this. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imagePrimRoseMama:
    You should be fine using the laundry mat. You are way overthinking this.nbsp;

Totally!
    Obviously you're washing your clothes somewhere, right? Why would it not be good enough for baby's clothes.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    Well, where do you wash your clothes? If it bothers you, do a load of your stuff first, or towels/sheets, then baby stuff after.
  • Options
    I ditto pp. Just use the laundromat. I think you are over thinking it and like the others have said, you are washing clothes with water and soap.
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    The hot water and soap will clean the babies stuff, I wouldn't worry about it!  Do either of you have parents that live nearby?  I know that before I had a W/D apartment I used to take a trip to my parents just to do laundry.

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Options
    I have been going to the laundromat since November to wash our clothes and once LO comes I will wash her clothes there also. I do agree with pp that they wear out faster because of the wavy duty machines but I don't really have another option.
  • Options
    The only reason I'd ever be concerned is if doing cloth diapers, because some of the detergents used for that (like Charlie's, which we use) probably wouldn't do so well in a shared machine. But since you didn't mention that, for clothes, I wouldn't be concerned at all. If you really feel the need, you could run the baby clothes in the same washer after running another load using whatever detergent you're using. But I really can't imagine the being a problem.

• Options
    Yep, over thinking.  Laundromat would be fine.  Many dry cleaners also do laundry.

• Options

I can't imagine having to drive to a laundromat to do laundry. Is there not one in your apartment building or complex? Do you have family near by?

I guess I would hand-wash things that are urgent or that you use often for baby and everything else I would take to the laundromat. It is not the best situation but you do what you have to.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback ladies.
  • Options
    We've just been going to the laundromat once or twice a week. Thankfully, it's only a block away, so it's not too bad.

Only big advice I have is to steal LOTS of swaddling blankets from the hospital so you don't have to wash them as often...we go through those faster than anything else.

Also, once you get a sense of when LO will need to eat, it's easier to plan the trip. I try to time it so she'll be hungry right after I throw everything in the dryer. HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"